Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flush 5spd Tranny during Service?

Car is 2003 N/A Subaru Baja, 5 spd manual tranny. I want to service the transmission myself to save $....of course all I would do is drain and fill. Is it worth my $$ to pay my local subaru pros to service my transmission? Will they do anything different, like flush it or ?? Vehicle has about 88K, I'm third owner at least, no idea if transmission has been serviced before, it shifts, operates perfectly, i.e. no bad symptoms, etc. Thanks for any input!

No, it's not worth getting someone else to do it!

There's a drain plug and you fill via the dipstick, easy peasy. Wrap the exhaust pipe in silver foil before draining, that way your car won't reek of cat urine if you spill trans oil on the exhaust!

For filling, get a foot length of hose that'll slip snugly into the dip stick hole and attach a funnel on the other end at user friendly height.

Fill three quarts and let it sit level overnight before topping up. It won't take the full capacity listed in the manual since some of the old oil will not drain out.

Flush is not needed.

(And I strongly recommend Valvoline Synpower 75W-90)

Hi nipper, does that apply to automatics as well?

yes. Soobies love fresh tranny fluid, they will reward you well, but no chemical flush. Its a good way to kill something really fast. Soobies never need them, except for the ocasional fuel treatment.

nipper

Don't hold me to this, but I believe a ATF flushing machine just keeps running clean ATF into the system and pulling the old ATF out, and I believe the machine considers its job complete when it starts getting fresh ATF coming out of the system. By system, I mean the entire transmission assembly, the torque convertor, and the tranny cooler. Just a drain-and-fill won't change the ATF in the torque convertor and the tranny cooler.

If someone that knows can correct me, please do so.

But if I were a shop, that's how I would do it.

Don't hold me to this, but I believe a ATF flushing machine just keeps running clean ATF into the system and pulling the old ATF out, and I believe the machine considers its job complete when it starts getting fresh ATF coming out of the system. By system, I mean the entire transmission assembly, the torque convertor, and the tranny cooler. Just a drain-and-fill won't change the ATF in the torque convertor and the tranny cooler.

If someone that knows can correct me, please do so.

But if I were a shop, that's how I would do it.

Your right.Drain and fill works but you have to do it three times.

nipper