Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ever seen this before? (Dealer mistake)

Quick back story: I had the head gaskets replaced on the 98 Legacy GT at about 85K miles at the dealer where I bought the car. I had the clutch and timing belt replaced at the same time, since the engine was out.

Now I have about 160K miles on it, so I decided to replace the timing belt on Sunday among other things.

What a fun job that it. Keeping four cams lined up is a joy.

Anyway, on dissamebly I found something interesting. The retainer pin in the belt tensioner was still in place. It had pulled out of one of the holes, but basically not putting any tension on the pulley.

tensioner_wrong.jpg

Apparently the mechanic at the dealer forgot to take the pin out, so I had been driving 80K miles with a loose timing belt. This explains the problems I had having the hesitation. It also would explain why the back of the timing belt was so glazed. This is the same car that a few months earlier I discovered the lower timing cover was loose and letting water in. I am pretty sure this was causing the water pump to slip when I hit puddles, resulting in the temp gauge going almost all the way up in the rain.

I put the pin in correctly for reinstallation.

tensioner_right.jpg

Yes, I DID remember to remove it. I removed it three times actually, because it took that many tries to get the timing marks lined up. The drives side bank must be right at full open on the valves, because a slight touch and the sprockets would spin around, quite violently, as my fingers can attest.

I see why they wanted $500 for the job, although I still think that is a bit much.

I wonder what else could be wrong.

The low speed hesitation is gone, btw.

That is unbelievable! What a terrible error that could have resulted in a lot worse damage than what you found. :eek:

On the other hand, we all can be prone to bone-headed mistakes every once in a while.....but then this isn't very reassuring if a surgeon leaves instruments inside you.:-\

Does that mean the tensioner is still good as new?:grin:

That is unbelievable! What a terrible error that could have resulted in a lot worse damage than what you found. :eek:

On the other hand, we all can be prone to bone-headed mistakes every once in a while.....but then this isn't very reassuring if a surgeon leaves instruments inside you.:-\

Does that mean the tensioner is still good as new?:grin:

hehehe yup,:clap: and actually 500.00 isnt that bad a price.

dont even talk to me about surgons ......

nipper

It is raining like crazy in Detroit today and no problems, so I would say it is fixed. The water pump slipping that is.

Considering how many tried it took to get all the timing marks lined up, I would be suprised if anyone would forget to pull the pin. I turned the engine over several times by hand to make sure everything was lined up and nothing hitting. You can see the location the pin the whole time you have the timing cover off. Mine even has a nice red inspection mark too.

tensioner_nopin.jpg

I am guessing the tensioner should be fine, considering it hasn't been doing much.

Rob

The work was done at Suburban Subaru in Troy. These are the same people that would not honor the warranty, saying head gaskets are not internal parts. Needless to say, I will never deal with them again.

I got the quote for the belt replacement from Hodges. I have heard mixed reviews about them. I have been less then impressed the few times I have been in there. They did have the thermostat gasket to replace the one that had been mangled by Suburban, so they can't be all bad.

Both my parents go to Dywer and Sons, but they live in West Bloomfield, so it is a five minute drive for them.

I only let others do work on my cars if it something I don't have the tools/time to do myself.

Rob

Keep in mind that the repair is only as good as the person doing it ...who could (by some stroke of bad luck) be the exact same person doing your next repair again after he moves on to a new employer and you move on to a new repair center.

I've often thought that the dealer service centers are the training ground where fledgling mechanics cut their teeth before deciding to move to a better-paying, well-respected independant shop and possibly ultimately on to their own business.

**** ******!