Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Vibration - 1990 Justy 5spd 4x4

Hey all, I'm new to the board and pretty new to Subaru. This seems like a pretty friendly place, though. Back in the winter of '05 I bought this '90 Justy off a guy up the road to: 1.) Save on Gas and 2.) Not risk wrecking or being wrecked into while driving one of my nicer vehicles. Well so far I have acheived both to some degree and as an added niceity the car has also afforded me the pleasure of being able to work on it almost every weekend. So three half-shafts, a roll of carpet, and quite a few odds and ends later it's running pretty good. Saying that, it will probably lay down and die on the way to work in the morning. Oh well, to the problem at hand.

Every once in a while I get a pretty nasty vibration while under power. I drive the car quite a bit and this only happens maybe once or twice a month but it is still annoying. Like I said it is only while the car is under power and if I keep my foot in it the vibration will presist and continue to get worse. Let out of it, and then get back in it and the vibration goes away. It's pretty hard to troubleshoot because it happens only occasionally, but I was hoping someone here might have had the same experience and have some input. If not, oh well, I'll just drive it till it breaks and this thread is nothing more than a "hello."

TIA

-Jon

Thanks for the replies... I replaced the front left half-shaft only up front (well, so far anyway.) I will check into the drive shaft, a neighbor of my parents back home has had a just since he bought it new and just put a drive shaft in his. I think he bought it new though 400 some odd bucks if i remember.. ouch! If it gets worse I'll worry about it more... I was thinking drive shaft also. Anyone have any idea if the can be rebuilt/worked-on; as opposed to buying a new one?

Thanks again!