Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy auto to manual conversion

Are you planning on doing the work yourself, or pay some one?

I find Ebay is a good place to look for prices on parts.

Labor for this sort of project could be very expensive.

You may be better off looking for a manual Legacy, although they can be hard to find, compared to finding automatic Legacies.

You may also need to replace the computer. I think they are different between manual and auto. I have only worked with/own manual subarus, so somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Found one on ebay that should work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Legacy-ECU-engine-computer-ECM-GT-94-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQitemZ8077178141QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You may also need to replace the wiring harness, although I think they are the same.

Best bet would be to sell the automatic car and buy a stick car.

It is way more to it than there seems.

Though I have not done it myself, I have put a motor out of a stick car to replace the one that came with an automatic in mine.

On a 98 Legacy at least, the automatics came with an EGR system, the stick cars did not. My computer wants to know where the EGR is.

The computer for the automatic also controls the shift points. Now the computer will not know what to do. If you are thinking of using the "stick" computer fine, but is the wiring different?????

Now if vehicle inspection where you live is not concerned with a car that has a "Check Engine" light on, well maybe OK. But where I live not OK.

I have to play with it for quite awhile to get the Light out then have a narrow window of opportunity so I can get the car inspected before it comes back on.................

It would be a big waste of time to go through all the work and end up with a car that will not pass inspection.................

Best bet would be to sell the automatic car and buy a stick car.

It is way more to it than there seems.

Though I have not done it myself, I have put a motor out of a stick car to replace the one that came with an automatic in mine.

On a 98 Legacy at least, the automatics came with an EGR system, the stick cars did not. My computer wants to know where the EGR is.

The computer for the automatic also controls the shift points. Now the computer will not know what to do. If you are thinking of using the "stick" computer fine, but is the wiring different?????

Now if vehicle inspection where you live is not concerned with a car that has a "Check Engine" light on, well maybe OK. But where I live not OK.

I have to play with it for quite awhile to get the Light out then have a narrow window of opportunity so I can get the car inspected before it comes back on.................

It would be a big waste of time to go through all the work and end up with a car that will not pass inspection.................

What he said. If you still want to do it, you need to get a donor car where you can strip it of everything. you cant do this peacmeal otherwise it will turn into the job from hell.

nipper