Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange 96 Outback 2.2 problem

So, i'm having this strange problem with my Outback, where if i drive the thing for less than 15 minutes, it won't start again. I thought it was the ignition coil, but when i replaced that, it seemed to work for about a week, and then the problem started again.

It doesn't do it every time, just enough to be annoying. If i drive it for longer than 15 minutes, it doesn't do it. Any ideas folks?

the check engine light comes on immediately after not starting, but goes away after a few clean restarts. The CEL diagnostic says cylinder misfire (cylinder 2 if i remember right), 130,000 miles on the car, replaced the spark plugs and wires when i bought it a year and a half ago, and they are aftermarket wires.... any other things i left out?

ding ding ding...just as i suspected. get Subaru OEM wires. (or magnecor, that's what i use). anything else is susceptible to exactly what you're describing. the 2.2 and 2.5 engine layout is not very forgiving, the wires need to be high quality on these motors.

flit,

Is the starting problem fixed? I had a similar problem last year with my '96 OBW-EJ22. Are you getting a check engine light? If so, try and pull the code. My problem ended up being a faúlty crankshaft angle sensor (CAS), the $60 one. I first had a bad Cam Angle Sensor, though so I wouldn't rule that out either. You can check what the problem is by having an extra wire and plug handy after it doesn't start. Plug it in and see if you have any spark. If not, it is likely there is not a signal to the computer to send out spark. Search for a past thread of mine on the subject of not starting.

Good Luck!

Sweden

You are right with the code (sorry, I didn't read the whole thread close enough). One thing that was up with mine was that it didn't reveal the Crank Angle Sensor code for a number of days & trials at the mechanic. We got the Cam Angle Sensor code though; the problem was that I had just replaced it a few days earlier. My car is possessed :eek:

Sweden

Well this is an electronic problem of some sort. If you can make it happen on command do it, then check the cam angle crank angle sensors and the engine temp sensor. Also check output at the ignitor. Can be any one of those. If you have injectors working buy no spark it may be the ignitor.

nipper