Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1993 impreza,I have changed the crank pulley is there a chip or something else i can do to get power?this thing is slow,please help me it has an automatic.are there super coils or something for these cars?

HAHAHAHAHA you said it right there. Its an automatic. ANything you do is pretty much wasted. Also these are economy cars with the extra weight of AWD.

There are lots of posts her on the same thing (do a search). We would all love to see a chip for subarus but no one has a real chip, just a lot of money robbing thngs that hurt the car.

Maybe a turbo is all you can do or a supercharger, or down hill with a tail wind.

nipper

Well i have a 93 leg wagon with auto awd and its super quick for 130hp i must admit. I can easily well sorta more easilly do 180km, but it eventually gets up to 205km. but when the engine was new and didnt have 300000km it seemed quicker. lol. Try a turbo or supercharger, i was thinking the same, but it dont know how much horsepower these engines or the drivetrain can handle? anyone know?

Well i have a 93 leg wagon with auto awd and its super quick for 130hp i must admit. I can easily well sorta more easilly do 180km, but it eventually gets up to 205km. but when the engine was new and didnt have 300000km it seemed quicker. lol. Try a turbo or supercharger, i was thinking the same, but it dont know how much horsepower these engines or the drivetrain can handle? anyone know?

there we go that enitre mertric thing again :) at least you state hp. Legacies have more power www.cars101.c0m

nipper

yes its a 1.8!!there are no after market coils??how about that thing with the coolant temp sensor putting a resistor on it fooling the coumputer into thinking the car is cold the temp cold and giving added fuel for power??headers?exhaust?come on guys,what gives>also its a two wheel drive.

yes its a 1.8!!there are no after market coils??how about that thing with the coolant temp sensor putting a resistor on ti fooling the coumputer into thinking the car is cold the temp cold and giving added fuel for power??headers?exhaust?come on guys,what gives>

unfortunately, the only people that can get any use out of the ej18 apart from getting the groceries are the guys in the Offroad section.

yeah...fwd too. if you want speed, you bought the wrong car. you need a 2.2 at LEAST to get any kind of viable power output.

yes its a 1.8!!there are no after market coils??how about that thing with the coolant temp sensor putting a resistor on ti fooling the coumputer into thinking the car is cold the temp cold and giving added fuel for power??headers?exhaust?come on guys,what gives>

no no no and no

SUbarus dont have any hidden horspower. They are free breathing as it is.

You dont get extra power by adding fuel, you get extra power from more air (thats how turbo chargning and nitrous work). Add more fuel and not enough air and the car will run like crap. Also you may throw the car into limp home mode or worse it wont run. Then there is that entire over heating the cat converter can car cacthing fire thing. There are headers but no one uses them because of the previous fact.

your biggest power loss is the automatic tranny. you should have gotten a manual.

nipper

no no no and no

SUbarus dont have any hidden horspower. They are free breathing as it is.

You dont get extra power by adding fuel, you get extra power from more air (thats how turbo chargning and nitrous work). Add more fuel and not enough air and the car will run like crap. Also you may throw the car into limp home mode or worse it wont run. Then there is that entire over heating the cat converter can car cacthing fire thing. There are headers but no one uses them because of the previous fact.

your biggest power loss is the automatic tranny. you should have gotten a manual.

nipper

can you explain this "limping home" mode? i reaed about it in my manual (which i used as a bedtime book for a while:brow: ) but i didn't really understand it

10-4 guys well i guess i will just be happy and use this thing for a daily driver it has 131,000 miles on it and runs good seems to be only getting 24 mgp with new plugs air filter etc and driving nicely is that average? 24 with mixed driving fwd 1.8 four door.

10-4 guys well i guess i will just be happy and use this thing for a daily driver it has 131,000 miles on it and runs good seems to be only getting 24 mgp with new plugs air filter etc and driving nicely is that average? 24 with mixed driving fwd 1.8 four door.

hmm...MIGHT be a tad low. the 1.8 is going to have to use more fuel to push the car because of the lack of power, but the fwd should free up some mpg

hmm...MIGHT be a tad low. the 1.8 is going to have to use more fuel to push the car because of the lack of power, but the fwd should free up some mpg
will changing the o2 sensor help???how many does this car have ?how much are they?

If the engine management computer thinks it has a problem (which is usually accompanied by a Check Engine light), it may enter "limp home mode", where the computer's settings are designed to give you the best chance of making it to the mechanic, neglecting goals of fuel economy or performance.

can you explain this "limping home" mode? i reaed about it in my manual (which i used as a bedtime book for a while:brow: ) but i didn't really understand it

your car has a puter, it has two modes, open loop and closed loop. Open loop is when the runs off of preset programs. When the car is warmed up it runs in closed loop. the car is now communicating with all sensors and making decisions.

Limp home mode is the car runs on the bare essentials cause iot has a component failure or is getting information that doesnt make sense to it from its sensors, or the car isnt reacting as it should. never ignore a blinking light, be it a cel or tranny temp light

hope that helps

nipper

your car has a puter, it has two modes, open loop and closed loop. Open loop is when the runs off of preset programs. When the car is warmed up it runs in closed loop. the car is now communicating with all sensors and making decisions.

Limp home mode is the car runs on the bare essentials cause iot has a component failure or is getting information that doesnt make sense to it from its sensors, or the car isnt reacting as it should. never ignore a blinking light, be it a cel or tranny temp light

hope that helps

nipper

check engine lite only comes on when starting car never while driving should i change the o2 sensor any way??

check engine lite only comes on when starting car never while driving should i change the o2 sensor any way??

you could change all sorts of stuff. that doesn't mean it'll help though.

i changed my maf sensor a few weeks ago and my mileage greatly improved. it may not for you.

you really gotta know your car and know its history before you just go out and start replacing sensors.

will it hurt? no. will it help? who knows.

and thanks Nip and Brian, that clears it up for me.