Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Outback Knocking Problem

I have a 96 subaru outback 2.2 with 130,000 miles on it and it is making a strange knocking sound. now, i'm not very well versed in cars, so i'll do my best to explain.

It is coming from the electrical system, i believe, because if i turn the key to "on" without starting the car, the sound starts. It's louder inside the car, and it sounds like it's coming from a medium sized black box that is right behind the stereo. The box has an Oct 95 sticker on it. If i put my hand on the box, I can actually feel the knocking, so i'm pretty sure there's something going on in that box. First of all, what is in that black box, and what in the world would cause a knocking. It's loud, and annoying, and I don't know if it's doing any damage.

Oh, and the speed of the car and the speed of the engine have no relation to the sound. The sound stays constant no matter what.

thanks for your help

Do you have keyless entry? My 96' LO started making some bad clicking noises from under the dash as soon as I'd put the key in, eventually would do it without the key. It turned out to be the keyless entry control box, little square flat black box. I unplugged it and all has been well.

Just throwing out an idea.