Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last attempt to remove A/C clutch

I have a '95 Impreza and the A/C clutch self-destructed. Actually the bearing overheated, melted most of the plastic and burned out the coil.

I would love to be able to remove the clutch and replace it. I've managed to get the "plate" off-the part that the belt drives, but the coil remains stubborn. If I can't get it off and a new clutch on, then I'm looking at almost $600 to replace the compressor and the reciever/drier. The compressor is good and the system is full of freon.

Any input is welcome.

Dave

:mad:

I would love to be able to remove the clutch and replace it. I've managed to get the "plate" off-the part that the belt drives, but the coil remains stubborn.

In case you hadn't already read up on this thread, you should check it out to see if it will help you get going again. I suspect that there is a circlip in there you cannot see under the mess that is preventing it from being pulled off.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/technicalbulletins/acClutchfail.jsp

Here is a peek at my little hell on this exact problem.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=465950&postcount=10

I'm thinking there may be some special tools for the a/c clutch removal and install. Should be a snap ring in there, too. Did you by chance miss that???

With the cost, perhaps a professional consult is in order. Get a pro to swap the clutch for you.

Keep us posted.

Nick

Thanks,

I am....not confident....about professional help at this point since all my inquiries and all of my own research has gotten me the same results:

1. The clutch is listed as a separate part in all of the catalogs

but

2. The clutch is not SOLD as a separate part anywhere.

3. The PDF file of compressor specifications on the Calsonic website (the mfg.) has been removed.

Conspiracy?

I think so.

replace the entire compressor is the easy solution. they can be had for $35 (i have one) and are very easy to replace. yes you have to open the lines but if you swap the compressor quickly very little air gets in the system if you vent the freon slowly the lines discharge until they equal atmospheric pressure and then the freon sits in there. sure some air gets in but not much.

i don't do it this way as i have a vaccuum puller, but it does work. i've seen plenty of friends swap compressors and charge and their a/c works for years.

or you can swap compressors and someone else pull the vacuum and charge (pun intended!!!).

Replacing the compressor might make sense because the shaft seal on this one could be cooked. Otherwise, I'd prefer to keep the factory unit and not open the lines. The seal, too, can be replaced but that already involves discharging the AC.

I had not given a lot of thought to simply venting the freon to atmospheric pressure and keeping the lines open very briefly. I guess I've been getting more responsible in my old age.

It is summer here in Southern Cal. and the humidity will be down to 20% again in a week or two.

hmmmmm.

:-\

:horse:

So I made one last attempt to remove the clutch.

Now I'm getting a new (used) compressor.

I got the coil to move, but it broke the front cylinder off of the compressor.-the part that the clutch is pressed onto.

For future reference- I think the clutch has to be heated and the compressor cooled to break them apart.

Thanks everyone.

If the coild wasn't attached with screws, it should have come off at least with the help of a puller. Maybe everything on the front of the compressor was indeed thoroughly cooked. I once replaced a coil on a GM compressor and it was not pressed very tightly. The pulley bearing already holds it in place.