Ultimate Subaru Message Board

burning smell/irregular noise, power window problem, need help

1996 Legacy L wagon, Auto, EJ22E. Well for the most part my Legacy is now running great. All the work I've done has basically brought it back up to top running condition. Today I finished putting in a new water pump and got the car back together, started it up and heard belt squeal for about 15 secs, but that went away. Drove for a bit, everything was great. So I drive it to a store, and everything was perfect. I get out, go into the store, and come out about 10 mins later. Start the car again and I hear a low whurring sound. I figure it is still left over from the work i did- maybe a belt rubbing a little bit, so i wait for 20 secs for it to go away, but it doesn't. So i start driving slowly, but it still doesn't go away. The store is only 2 blocks from my house, so I decide to drive it back home to look at it. The whurring sound continues, and I keep the car under 25 mph, but then I start smelling something burning, smells like rubber. So i get it home, sound is still there, I shut the car off and open the hood and the smell is pretty strong. The sound seems to be coming from the P/S / alternator area, so i took that belt off and started the car. No sound. So I haved it rulled down to the Alternator, the P/S pump, or the belt/pulleys that drive them both. I have read other threads of people who smelled a burning smell from their alternator, so I'm inclined to think i have the same thing.

But here's the other thing... At the exact same time- that same 2 block drive home, my driver side power window started jumping up about a quarter inch, then back down every 10 seconds or so- this was after I rolled the window completely down using the express-down feature on the power window switch. (after it popped a quarter inch up, it wouldn't allow me to roll the window up or down until it popped back down.) When I didn't use the express-down feature, the window went all the way down and back up with no problems. I have seached this too and see that it is most likely the express-down feature that is malfunctioning, and can be fixed by replacing the switch.

So even though I think I may have answers, I wanted to post this anyway to see if anyone had any other ideas or advice. I'm just suspicious at how these both occurred at the same time, and if it is the alternator that's causing the smell- both these malfuctioning parts are electrical. So I wanted to see if you guys have any thoughts. As always, your input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

When the alternator on my EJ22 Legacy went south it produced a smell like what you are describing. Hot, rubbery, slightly "oily".

Try turning the radio on, if the alt diode brigde/rectifier is busted there will be a whine type of sound going into the speakers that follows engine rpm.

your altenator is going. Thats the only thing there that will whine. The PS pump makes more of a growling noise. Get a wooden dowel. PLace one end on the alt housing, the other against your ear. It will act like a stethascope and you can pinpoint the noise.

The power window is prbbly related.

nipper

Thanks for the info guys. And it's a nice thing that I work for a mechanic. :) Took the car to the shop yesterday morning and tested the charging system- indeed the alternator was almost dead. Put a new one in by the end of the day, and no more sound, no more smell. And Nipper, you were right- my driver side window worked perfectly again right after i put the new alternator in. The express-down feature is running smoothly. I was a little surprised that of all things that was affected by the alt., but I suppose stranger things occur all the time. Thanks for the input again.