Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pressure guage

1986 BRAT 1800 GL 4 speed D/R, without the rear seats from the factory :)

How acurate of the oil pressure guage? On the highway at 65-75 it reads almost all the way up, about 75.

brat_oil.jpg

It has been like that since I got it last summer. I guage does go up and down with engine speed. It doesn't seem to change with 30 or 40 weight oil either.

Is this normal, or should I be doing something about it?

I am considering getting another subaru of this vintage due to the problems I've had with me Legacy. The EA engines seem to be much better then the EJ series.

It's just your sender, and your guage. Probably not all that accurate. A brand new EA81 will usually peg the guage out, but most that I have seen run at around 45-60 at hot cruise. It's the hot idle reading that matters most - should be no less than 20. Higher is ok, but once they are broken in, they generally will not peg the guage out like that unless there is some electrical issue in the guage or the sender. The senders like to fail, and they like to be different as they age. In fact I doubt any of them came very calibrated anyway. I've replaced senders and gained nothing, and other times I've done it and gained 5 to 10 pounds. You have to understand tho that the pressure reading is AT the pump. If there are restrictions somewhere in the system (sludge, contaminates, bits of filter), your reading will be high.

GD