Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Organic clutch Vs. Regular? FAST

Same Price, deifferent brand?

So what is better for regular street driving? I'm 16 so the occasional popping of the clutch might happen:headbang:

Thanks.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Loyale-XT-1-8L-clutch-kit-1985-1994-10624_W0QQitemZ7963320208QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

C'mon people!!! Im desperate here, I've been starnded about a week!

Personally, really don't think it would matter too much. The OEM style clutches work just fine if you are just looking for something to get you back on the road. Best thing that I can tell you is to look for one from a reputable company.

Patrick

Part number NU31144, $140 at partsamerica.com, I have this same brand in my 81 Hatch, six months of beatings with no problems. You can order it on the site, or print out the page and take it in to any Checkers, Schucks, Kragen, or Advance Auto Parts stores, they will match the price.

Go to the junk yard and find the most mangled, wrecked, demolished soob you can find and yank the engine forward. This will both save you money and give you experience for the job a hand. If your disc is worn out, have the flywheel turned, and find a good pressure plate and disc from the junk yard. I pay around $20 for the whole clutch/flywheel assembly around here. Added advantage that you can have the flywheel turned and ready to go so you don't have to wait for shop turn-around. Start to finish it's about 2-3 hours with a hoist - maybe a little more without, but not bad with two guys.

GD

Ok, so I'm gonna do it this way.

I found a transmission shop who will tow my car for free, charge me 357$ Labor, and the price of the part is 175$ through them. The benfit of purchasing the clutch threw them, is that it is warrantied in case something happens. I would love to be able to replace it myself, I just don't have the knowledge/skills and no one around me really does either because I'm only 16.

OMG! That's like $120 per hour. That's more than high end dealerships charge.... find a shop that's not going to rape you pal.

GD

HAHAHAHA That's BY FAR! the cheapest one. Most of my estimates that I have recieve are from 600-900 LABOR! NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN PART!!

I also just found out the clutch they will be putting in is refurbished, I don't like the thought of that? do you think I will be ok with it?

$350 for labor on a clutch job is not bad at all. Most shops typically charge $500+ for labor on it. When my brother had a couple local shops quote him for a new clutch in his 3 door, the quotes were around $800 total for everything. $200 for the clutch kit, and $600 for labor. He's not being raped, that's just what typical shops charge these days for the job.

Knowing subaru's is a qualification for "a good shop" and any shop that knows the EA82 should know it takes 2-3 hours tops for a clutch job. The going rate for labor is $80 an hour for high end OEM dealership work. Less for the "corner garage".

As any mechnic knows, it's not the "title" of the job that sets the price, it's the complexity and time plus materials. On other tranverse mounted vehicles it very well might take a lot longer.

Have you even thought that for that price you could easily buy the few tools you need to do the job (set of wrenches, and sockets and stuff - for that price you could get a nice craftsman set) - have a friend help pull the engine (a peice of 4x4, and a chain works very well). Then next time you have something go wrong you'll be equipped for it.

GD

Have you even thought that for that price you could easily buy the few tools you need to do the job (set of wrenches, and sockets and stuff - for that price you could get a nice craftsman set) - have a friend help pull the engine (a peice of 4x4, and a chain works very well). Then next time you have something go wrong you'll be equipped for it.

Definitely opt to do that if you have the want to learn, and a buddy to help.