Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 Legacy wagon (non turbo) 5sp has started making some noise during warm start-ups like when I go into the store for 5min and return and start it. Sounds like lifter or valve noise and goes away after I give it some gas or wait 5sec. It does not happen every time just when there is lots of people around!:banghead: The engine has 197,000 mi. and I change the oil/filter every 3000 using 5W-30 and Lucas. I some times see 6000rpms (ok lots of times):burnout: so it has not had a easy life but all of my other Subarus can take it. Thank in advance for any help! You all rock:headbang:

My 92 Legacy wagon (non turbo) 5sp has started making some noise during warm start-ups like when I go into the store for 5min and return and start it. Sounds like lifter or valve noise and goes away after I give it some gas or wait 5sec. It does not happen every time just when there is lots of people around!:banghead: The engine has 197,000 mi. and I change the oil/filter every 3000 using 5W-30 and Lucas. I some times see 6000rpms (ok lots of times):burnout: so it has not had a easy life but all of my other Subarus can take it. Thank in advance for any help! You all rock:headbang:
''

could be a sticky lifter, could be a few things, would be nice to know what the oil pressure is when this happens. My guess is that since its new, we can rule out piston slap. Its more like a lifter gets in just the right position to drain. Restart the car and it pumps up, assuming this has hydraulic lifters.

How long for the noise to go away.

nipper