Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW 2.5 dohc.

Anyone know if it would be easier to change ther plugs with the valve covers off? I did the plugs a few years ago and man what a pain! I'll do the valve cover gaskets at the same time .

Also, when getting new gaskets do I need any special grommets or just the two gaskets?

rd

Dickensheets,

That is a pain in the *** job for sure. Its easiest to pull the washer fluid tank and the air intake snorkle assembly from each side first. What I've found works, is a combination of a 3 inch rachet extention, the plug socket, a universal joint, and the rachet handle, all in different combinations, depending on which plug I'm doing. Using them in turn allowed plug removal in the tiny space available between the head and the side rails. I learned to remove one plug and replace it, so as to not have to relearn the wrenching combination sequence all over again, and its different for each plug location. As far as the seals go, that's not something I've had to tackle. Good Luck!

When I replaced the plugs on my '98, I did it from under the car. I didn't have to remove anything, but it was working on my back. Check it out and see what will work best for you. Going from under wasn't bad at all even though the space is tight.

Thanks for the replies. I've done this job before. But I have a seeping valve cover gasket and was thinking 2 cops with i donut. I guess my main question is this: Can I get the valve covers off with the plugs in place? Or do the plugs have to come out first? This determines my strategy of disassembly. Thanks for the replies.

rd

The spark plugs do not have to be removed to remove the valve covers. As the top of the plug is still below the top of the cylinder head which is below the bottom of the valve cover (bottom as in in/out) there really isn't any advantage to removing the valve covers to remove the spark plugs. In my opinion, the real disadvantage to removing the covers to change the plugs would be an open invitation for dirt,trash and possibly tools to enter the engine.

In addition to the valve cover gasket itself, you are going to need (2) of the spark plug gaskets that fit in the valve cover and a new set of grommets that go around the bolts. I wouldn't for the life of me consider reusing either the spark plug gaskets or the grommets. After you change it out and have no leaks I'm sure you'll agree!

Easiest way to remove the plug wires is to just grab the boots at the plug and push down towards the ground with a slight pull. If you just try and pull them straight out or downwards with all your might you probably won't get them off. And I've found the best tool for changing the plugs is the one in your factory tool kit with the tire tool. Use the hexagonal shaped tool with open ends and a ratchet wrench/socket that will fit the tool. And always start the plugs in by hand with a piece of rubber hose that fits snugly over the top of the plugs.

I agree with SubiGal. Its not really that bad of a job. Remove the washer tank, and the air box. I would not pull the valve covers off just to change plugs, but if you need to replace gaskets go for it. I still recommend pulling the washer tank and the air box.

Its a hard job when you have to pull the engine to replace the plugs!

I vote for removing the plugs from under the car. Be sure to apply some electrical grease to the new boot. One of the spark plug wire boots broke off on a sparkplug. It was quite a challenge to remove the broken piece of rubber!