Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all- I have an '06 Baja Turbo MT 8k. Lately I've notice a vibration/rattle when shifting from 1'st to 2'nd gear (noise happens only during that shift). It sounds like the shifter itself or something in that area. I cannot seem to isolate it :-\ . I did have the shifter console replaced recently (replaced under warranty as the paint was coming off of it:mad:). Anyone have a clue or idea as to what it might be? It's not that annoying of a sound, but I notice it and it didn't do it when new, nor did it start immedietly after console replacement. How difficult is it to remove the shift console so I can look in there? Thanks in advance for any replies!:)

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT :burnout:

:) Thanks for the replies! I will check out the exhaust and trans member to make sure they are not touching. Seems like if they were touching, I would get a vibration noise in all gears, not just when shifting from first to second gear. But you never know, so I will definitely check it out. Thanks Subie Gal!:)

If that's not it, I will have the dealer check it out next time I have it in for an oil change. The dealer is 35 miles from my house, but I go that way for work all the time. Thanks ericem, I probably should let the dealer mess with it (especially since they just installed the new shifter console). I would probably screw something up if I did it myself!:lol:

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

spacinjason,

I certainly wouldn't do this now with your car under warranty, but keep it in mind for the future. I joined another forum for one my other cars, a 90 Nissan 300zx, and over the years the same thread problems keep cropping up about noisy manual trannies and grinding gears when shifting as the cars age. The overwhelming responses that come back are to flush the tranny and replace the fluid with RedLine MT90. Anyone who has done it raves about how it has corrected their noisy tranny, and more surprisingly, how it has eliminated the grinding between gears. Now I haven't used it myself in my ZX, (its still too low mileaged for any tranny problems to have arisen), but I have put it into the tranny of my 54 MG TF. It has a beast of a shift up or down, no wonder on a 50 year old tranny with 50 year old technology, and the RedLine MT90 has changed the personality of that tranny dramatically for the better. I was considering a tranny rebuild, but not now. Keep it in mind. Good Luck!