Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why are offroad foresters so rare?

Phizinza

I personally wouldnt ever offroad a forrester. Standard in the us is a auto tranny.. problem #1 problem #2 is the height of them. If I lifted a forrester as high as my GL wagon I'd be lookin at serious rollover issues.

Problem #3 Cost.. why pay 10 grand for a car with an auto in it, and then more money to lift it. Not to mention you'd be running a interference engine.

When I snap a timing belt, its nice to know I can put one on in 10 minutes and it will run. 2.5L blows a belt, plan on pullin the heads and puttin new valves in.

Lol, I agree about your comment on the Auto, I have been flamed for bad talking autos on other forums, but as a personally preference I wouldn't ever buy an auto for myself. Even if it were better offroad like many on AUSubaru claim.

Anyway, my verdict is I'd go a old gen for offroad any day of the week. But I think the outbacks are still cool, pitty there Auto standard here and have no low range as far as I know. But I can't afford to bash around in a $15K second hand car...

come on mate auto's are alright;)just wait till i get this vtd tt auto sorted out in my L and lock up that centre diff:burnout:

Now thats what im talkin about :D

The VTD is pretty awesome for the loose stuff. It just needs a non-open front dif and it would rock.

Anyway, autos were never standard on Foresters, its an option. 5mt's are standard.

And you can get a 98 forester for ~6k now, possibly less if you find a deal or one with high mileage.