Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crap, threads stripped from timing belt pully, suggestions?

Hi all! I'm new to the fourm and just got my Impreza 1.8L AWD a few months back. Ive already put a transmission in it which was bad when I got the car.

Today I decided to do a tune up and replace the timing belt since it no one has done any sort of maintence at all to this car in its 130000 miles. Still had the OE plugs in it too.:-\

Anyway The bolt that holds the tensioner pully for the timing belt was freaking tight. I got it out and it looked ok but did had some aluminum stuck on a few threads. On install it would not tighten back up but did seat all the way. Is there anything I can do get this fixed short of tig welding the hole and re-taping it? I'd really hate to have to got through all that trouble if it can be avoided. I'm tempted to locktight it or use some JB weld to holt it since there doesent seem to be any side to side movement but If I did that I dont think I'd trust it too much.

Thanks!

Clint

My threads striped on the hose that bolts into the rack and pinon gear box and I J.B. welded it and it is still holding. I wanted to replace the unit with a used one but it is right hand drive and I cant find one that is priced right so I will leave it as long as it holds, and then get a new one.

Hi all! I'm new to the fourm and just got my Impreza 1.8L AWD a few months back. Ive already put a transmission in it which was bad when I got the car.

Today I decided to do a tune up and replace the timing belt since it no one has done any sort of maintence at all to this car in its 130000 miles. Still had the OE plugs in it too.:-\

Anyway The bolt that holds the tensioner pully for the timing belt was freaking tight. I got it out and it looked ok but did had some aluminum stuck on a few threads. On install it would not tighten back up but did seat all the way. Is there anything I can do get this fixed short of tig welding the hole and re-taping it? I'd really hate to have to got through all that trouble if it can be avoided. I'm tempted to locktight it or use some JB weld to holt it since there doesent seem to be any side to side movement but If I did that I dont think I'd trust it too much.

Thanks!

Clint

Thanks!

Clint

Funny, I've experienced the same thing on the EJ18 I have on my rallycross car. So far it hasn't let go in the last 4000 miles since doing the timing belt but it does worry me a bit. I think the proper fix may be to install a helicoil and then re-tighten.

Helicoil kits should be available wherever fine auto parts are sold. If you haven't done this before it's not too difficult really. Drill it (not too deep), tap it, install the helicoil. The right size drill and tap are included with the kit. Then use a new threaded fastener of the appropriate type to go into the hole.

Some OEM's install helicoils in some threaded holes to increase reliability as part of the initial manufacturing process. Mostly I've seen this done in aluminum, and mostly on airplane parts.

Thanks for the replies!

I dug out the mirror today and glanced in the hole. It has a Helicoil in it now! I guess at some point in time some one did put a timing belt in the car and ruined the threads! I'm glad it wasnet me but still. I'm going to attempt to put another in and JB weld it for good measure. It must have been at a dealership too since the belt that I pulled out is a Subaru belt. I just wonder why no one has changed the spark plugs until now. :confused: Hopefully everything works and the fuel economy picks up a tad.

I'll let you all know what happens good or bad!

There was aluminum on the threads of the bolt. It was most likely left on the bolt when the helicoil was installed whenever that was. :confused:

Yea, no kidding I am glad the sparkplug holes are ok. Good thing about these engines spark plugs are easy as cake to change and I guess if you needed to helicoil a hole it wouldent be too bad access wise. Still I'd rater not.

Well I was able to get it going. I found another bolt with coaurse threads. It went in nicely with the helicoil already in the block and got lots of locktight.

The car was a tad more power now. Engine wise it always ran good even with the wipsed plugs but now I need to flush whats probaby the OEM coolant out of the system. :eek:

Thanks!