Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi questions

Seems I mis-diagnosed my fuel problem (Bang!Dead! July 24) The carb is over-rich - not starving. Raw fuel is visible percolating out of the slow-speed air bleed jet beside the primary venturi, at anything from off-idle to secondary opening. Blubbers, stinks, and barely runs. I'm assuming this isn't normal. Car ran fine before a large backfire last week. (Carb was rebuilt by me recently with no issues since Debris from backfire? Power valve damage? Where to start? )

did you measure it?it is a pretty precise measurement.there should have been a small square in your rebuild kit.and a measurement on the back of the instructions.i've only rebuilt a few of the hitachi's,so i don't recall the measurement,however,the float is a very integral part of fuel flow .if you are getting to much,it is most likely the float.

Float level right in the middle of the sight glass. Don't have a Weber hanging around. (I wish!) Anyone else??

Maybe bad needle valve or seat. Seen it in lawnmowers and other carbs. Sratch in seat or needle valve. Dirt. There must be a reason that its bubbling out. Check for hole in float.

OK, monstaru, yes, when I rebuilt, the float was carefully set as per the gauge in the kit, and the fuel level as seen through the sight glass is within spec. Desert, yeah that's a valid scenario. Trying for an on-car fix, of course. Does everyone agree that the fuel percolating out of the air bleed jet is not normal? I don't really know what the normal aqppearance would be, since when I rebuilt, it ran fine and I had no reason to stare into the carb and watch the show:brow: :brow:

• 4 weeks later...
OK, monstaru, yes, when I rebuilt, the float was carefully set as per the gauge in the kit, and the fuel level as seen through the sight glass is within spec. Desert, yeah that's a valid scenario. Trying for an on-car fix, of course. Does everyone agree that the fuel percolating out of the air bleed jet is not normal? I don't really know what the normal aqppearance would be, since when I rebuilt, it ran fine and I had no reason to stare into the carb and watch the show:brow: :brow:

OK, better late than never. Pulled the top off the carb and found that the power jet assy. had unscrewed itself at least 2 full turns. No idea whether a backfire could cause this, but I did notice that the Haynes manual says the power jet should be staked in place. Anyway, tightened it down, and it runs fine. Any comments on this?