Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Joined the Club - 2006 Forester 2.5X

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I just bought a 2006 Forester 2.5X in obsidian black pearl. It's light on the extras, only splash guards and auto dimming mirror. We love it. After many years owning a used Saturn, we finally gave in to our lust for the Subarus and bought!

Consumers in July had complained a little about "light steering" and "steering wheel coming back to center". No complaints here, though. Steers comfortably into curves without much correction. Turns on a dime too!

Reading this forum's posts helped me to make my decision to buy this car. Thanks!!!

Best regards,

Scott from LI

I replaced my 1999 L Forester with a 2006 X model in Janurary. I have 14,000 miles on the car, and so far, no complaints. The Forester is the best handling small SUV on the market. Other manufacturers are giving the Subaru some real competition. Even the Suzuki Grand Vitara has been greatly improved.

BTW, WATCH the cover over the spare wheel well. It is pretty weak. I made the mistake of placing some fairly heavy objects over the wheel well cover. The cover bent, and the foam support under the cover deformed badly. I carried the exact same load in my 99 Forester with no problems. I will be repalcing the cover with a piece of plywood when I carry sonmething heavy in the future. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a PITA.

Ya i remember that theres to many compartments in the rear of the forester therefore its to weak. ANd when i sat in the back i fell through(had forester as a rental) but i guess if u have the plastic mat it should be alright.

And welcome.

The Dude and ericem,

Thanks for the warnings and the welcomes. I am glad you've had good experiences with yours Dude.

I thought the spare cover wheel well and the foam looked a little weak. I think you gave me an idea for my first "add-on" and I don't even have to order it. Great! A little plywood and we'll have a custom bed.

Thanks again and I'd love to hear any other ideas anyone has.

Best regards,

Scott from LI

edit for grammar