Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was replacing the struts on a friend's 98 Legacy sedan GT Ltd. As I was removing the driver's strut, there was still a little pressure from the spring and the axle pulled out of the DOJ. :eek:

Do I need to take the DOJ boot apart to slide it back in or can I just feel blind and push it back in????

Please help me, I need to finish this before my parents come home this after noon!!!! Ahhhhhh!

Will an axle from a first gen legacy fit on a second gen Leg (1998 GT)?

The DOJ is held together with a little wire circlip. It will be easier to take it out and clamp it in a vice to work on it the first time you do this. Put a bucket under the joint when you pull back the boot, to catch the grease. Have new grease ready to put in the joint, also new clamps ready for the boot. Look inside for the clip, and figure out how it all goes back together, then regrease, reassemble, and put it back in the car.

Once you know how they go together, you can do this with the axle in the car. It is a very messy process, but not too bad.

Rob.