Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy 2.2 Noise when cold

I'm new to the Subaru world as of April 06 (daughter first car). I bought a 98 Legacy 2.2 with a auto trans and with 101K on it (now sitting at 107K+). I did all the maintenance new time belt - water pump - hoses - belts - new fluid in the transfer cases - etc. The car drives and performs great other then there's this metalic noise when you first put it in gear and start moving (doesn't do it much at all when it just sitting there running in park). But until it's warm, when you pull out and start moving, it will make this noise from a few seconds (stops if you lift off the gas). Once the car is warmed up, it never happens. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine. But once again I'm not sure. Is this anything I should be worried about? Car has plenty of power, doesn't burn any oil or trans fluid. I'd rather drive this them my wifes 2004 GTP Pontiac. Can't wait until winter. Did I say this was my daughters car....

I would rather drive the 98

Thanks In Advance...

Could be one of two things, a loose heat sheild, or piston slap. Love a SUbaru, love your piston slap. This is one of those noises that we get used to owning a subaru.

Do a search on piston slap.

And welcome top Subaru, now should i tell you about the switch on top of the steering column or wait for you to find out on your own.....

nipper

Could be one of two things, a loose heat sheild, or piston slap. Love a SUbaru, love your piston slap. This is one of those noises that we get used to owning a subaru.

Do a search on piston slap.

And welcome top Subaru, now should i tell you about the switch on top of the steering column or wait for you to find out on your own.....

nipper

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about if it could be piston slap. Seems like it would do it without a load on it?

Do you mean the parking light switch....

I cheated I went out and look in the owners manual. I don't even know the switch was there....

My wifes lease is up on her Grand Prix next May. Come January (I already started looking but don't tell her) I'm looking for another 95-98 Legacy to replace it. I've owned a lot of cars in my time and I can't remember one that I enjoy driving as much as this one and is as solid as this car is with 107K on it (and it started out as a rental car according to CarFax).

I see myself owning a few more of these. I test drove a 2006 a couple of weeks ago, and it's a nice car but I still preferred the steering feel and control of the 98.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about if it could be piston slap. Seems like it would do it without a load on it?

Do you mean the parking light switch....

I cheated I went out and look in the owners manual. I don't even know the switch was there....

My wifes lease is up on her Grand Prix next May. Come January (I already started looking but don't tell her) I'm looking for another 95-98 Legacy to replace it. I've owned a lot of cars in my time and I can't remember one that I enjoy driving as much as this one and is as solid as this car is with 107K on it (and it started out as a rental car according to CarFax).

I see myself owning a few more of these. I test drove a 2006 a couple of weeks ago, and it's a nice car but I still preferred the steering feel and control of the 98.

i love my 1997 and will throw a new engine or tranny in or both when it comes time. The 1997 feels better and looks better then the 2006.

As long as the noise goes away your fine. Mine sounds like a deisel on a very cold day.

nipper

i love my 1997 and will throw a new engine or tranny in or both when it comes time. The 1997 feels better and looks better then the 2006.

As long as the noise goes away your fine. Mine sounds like a deisel on a very cold day.

nipper

Nipper,

Thanks...And it does go away...And I used to teach my daughter there's value in letting the car warm up a little before taking off. Even if it's the time it takes to put your seat belt on and adjust the mirrors it better to let the oil and coolent move around before putting it in gear.

Bill