Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just need a quick verification. My 1996' NA Outback has a cable actuated push style cluth? I've searched and haven't found a definative and since I'm about to do a throwout bearing I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks guys.

Okay, thanks Nipper, I definately have a cable that routes up to the clutch fork. Since this is a 'pull', I am assuming that the pressure plate is such that the throwout bearing clips onto it as in the 91-94' Legacy SS's? Or does my bearing ride on the fork and get pushed onto the pressure plate as was the case on my 93' Legacy L?

And yeah I had figured on changing the clutch. However, I just got back in from probing around and the rattling I hear with the clutch out (engaged) is most concise at the rear of the tranny. Concise is the best word I can think of since I can also hear the rattle in the probe at the front of the tranny but it is most distinctively bad sounding at the back. This leads me to believe my tranny is dieing at which it seems a little silly to spend the time and money to replace the clutch and throwout if my tranny needs replaced soon as well.

I am replacing the tranny fluid tomorrow or sat. to see if there are any flakes or grindings floating around.

Okay, thanks Nipper, I definately have a cable that routes up to the clutch fork. Since this is a 'pull', I am assuming that the pressure plate is such that the throwout bearing clips onto it as in the 91-94' Legacy SS's? Or does my bearing ride on the fork and get pushed onto the pressure plate as was the case on my 93' Legacy L?

And yeah I had figured on changing the clutch. However, I just got back in from probing around and the rattling I hear with the clutch out (engaged) is most concise at the rear of the tranny. Concise is the best word I can think of since I can also hear the rattle in the probe at the front of the tranny but it is most distinctively bad sounding at the back. This leads me to believe my tranny is dieing at which it seems a little silly to spend the time and money to replace the clutch and throwout if my tranny needs replaced soon as well.

I am replacing the tranny fluid tomorrow or sat. to see if there are any flakes or grindings floating around.

how many miles are on this car.

All throwout bearings clip ont to the fork.

The noise can be confusing, but subarus usually die by synchro failure, not a bearing failure.

If you have a long hill, get the car rolling down the hill where you can hear the noise. Engage the clutch, and shut off the engine. Leave the tranny in gear. If its the tranny the noise will still be there. If its the hrowout bearing it wont.

nipper

nipper

I may have been unclear about the throwout clippings. It was my impression that some of the bearings had to be clipped into the pressure plate as well, only hydraulic? Completely off?

The car has 145k mi. on it. I've only had it for 2k. I do know that it's been driven in the hills of WV for a year and a half by the second owner and the first owner was an insurance salesman. He kept imaculate care of the car, even a new actual factory battery in it. Though that doesn't say much about the drivetrain I know.

I'll try the hill test tomorrow. The noise is load dependant though, that is if I'm just at the right speed where the car is coasting, not engine braking but everythings just rolling fine, it's quieter. When I give it just a little bit of gas it comes back or more precisely it's more noticable.