Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C removal

I'm attempting to remove the air conditioning from my EA81 '81 hatch but I'm having a little trouble with the alternator relocation. I got an alternator bracket from a non-AC car (at least that's what I was told it is) from a member here on the board, but it is only the slotted bar. I'm not really sure where the hinge bolt of the alternator is supposed to mount. Does it mount in the same place as the hinge for the compressor? I also don't see where this slotted bracket is supposed to mount. I shouldn't have any problem fabbing something that will work, but I'd rather do it the right way.

Can somebody explain what I'm missing here? Is there a different bracket that mounts to the block on non-AC cars? Any pictures of an engine bay would be helpful as well.

-Bryce

hhhmmm - weight, yes. But more like 35 pounds if I had to guess. Compressor has a large chunky butt, and the bracket is no small potatoes either. More like lopping off your passengers arms, and one leg..... then lighting the passenger seat on fire for extra warmth (which, BTW, is the recommended procedure if you have a heater core failure.).... :dead:

GD

it helps with engine bay clutter, and it is about 100 pounds of sprung weight to remove from the car.. it would be like getting rid of half your passenger. sort of a power gain, right?

A lot of the weight is also really far forward so removing it helps with weight distribution.

You need the inboard side of the alt bracket (don't forget the little 3/4" spacer under the rightmost bolt). It has the hinge for the alt on it. WAY different than the cast iron thing that holds the AC compressor.

GD

I figured there was something that I was missing. So does anybody have one of the inboard brackets laying around that they want to sell? How about any pictures of what I should be looking for?

-Bryce