Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Gen guy needing help Brat needs more power

Hey guys. Its been along time since i posted here. since the old gl.....

anyway i still have subys ( and two jobs to pay for them) as I am playing with two imprezas now.

anyway, i have a friend who has an 83 brat who wants more power. not a ton for hotrod like speed, he just wishes he could commute at something above 48mph.

Being a new gen guy i told him to throw an ej22 in it and call it a day.

So he is considering this option. he was also interested in some of the companies who rebuild the older engines for use in planes.

He is a real big fan of carburators, but has no qualms with going fuel injection.

He would like to be able to swap in some kind of motor in a weekend, use the next weekend to tune it and get the bugs out, and then just commute and forget about it.

Any suggestions for me? what companies are good to work with for these cars?

What's wrong with getting just a bit more power out of his current motor? The EA81 is plenty for a daily commuter.

Could do an SPFI swap on it. There's a couple threads about doing that. That should help with power. Actually, that's probably one of the best bangs for your buck.

Well, if he truly is only getting 48mph out of it, he needs to add a word to his vocabulary: tuneup.
Exactly. ^^^

Is his Brat mostly stock? If so, tuneup it most definately is.

As with mine, even lifted 6" and rolling on 31s, I can still attain 70 and hold it fine. Only real engine mod is the Weber. Which isnt *that* big of a difference from a stocker...