Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windsheild wiper bangs against post

Hi,

I have 1992 legacy wagon. The wiper on the drivers side bangs against the windsheild post when it is raining. When the winsheild is dry it stops about an inch short, but as soon as it gets wet, rain, hose or even washing cycle you can see it move further and hit the post.

I have thought about taking the whole arm off and moving it a bit away from the post but then I'm sure it will then hit on the bottom. I have a 20 inch on the drivers and an 18 on the passenger. I'm pretty sure that is what is called for. Would the quality of the blades have any impact on this? I tend to use cheap ones since I live on a dirt road and they don't last very long anyway. Any thoughts owuld be appreciated.

tighten the nut on the top of the arm, don't adjust anything, just tighten it. Its prolly loose
If it isn't the arm retaining nut that's loose, it's probably something else in the wiper linkage that is. When friction is low (wet windshield), the momentum of the arm will carry it further if there's "slop".

when the wiper is "at rest" how far from the bottom of the windshield/cowl is it?

As said before, iether the nut holding the arm is loose and the arm is flinging too far with low friction (wet) or the nut is loose and when dry is tight enough to hold but when wet acts a s alube to allow the arm to move.

Bent linkage I would think would result in less travel, not more.

John

Hi Guys I am getting this very problem on my Impreza in the UK.

You'll need to remove the plastic scuttle panel that the wiper arm spigots poke through. Once you have taken off the panel take a look at the linkage rod that connects from the wiper motor to the first wiper.

You are likely to find the bushing on the linkage where it connects to the wiper motor has too much play. Replace that linkage and hopefully all should be OK. Due to collect my new linkage from the Subaru dealers tommorow hopefully it will cure it!

wiper.jpg

Replaced the linkage in my Impreza today that was causing the wiper to hit the A-post and bottom of the screen when wet

The bush for the linkage should be as per the 1st picture below, but the plastic bushing had broke allowing the linkage to jiggle about within a bigger hole as per the second picture.(shown on end of a bar for photo purposes)

IM000585.jpg

IM000590.jpg