Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fixed !!!ASAP ..who has a FSM and a second?

I need to know what else is on the "wiper washer" 20amp fuse circut other than; wipers, washer fluid, fuel pump,fuel pump electrical box, and wiper switch. If you could help me out by looking the FSM I would be most greatfull.

:confused:

I have an 84 hatch . I'm sitting there letting in warm up in the parking lot after work. All of a sudden it cuts and dies. I look in the carb, no fuel.

I check the fuses, " wiper washer " fuse is blown. I replace it. It blows again. I go get more fuses, then I unplug the wiper motor, new fuse, it blows. I systematically try; wiper motor, wiper fluid motor, fuel pump, fuel pump electrical box thing that tells the fuel pump to get power. Each thing blows a fuse. I'm outta fuses and ideas, can't see anything in the engine bay grounding out either. So on the orders of GD, I hot wire the fuel pump to my subwoofers power and ground it to the diff hanger. I had to cut out my speaker wire to the doors to get cable to use for the job. It was pretty ghetto and probably not too safe, but it got me home. But now...now I'm lost.

Well - the FSM shows the FPCU (fuel pump control unit) as running directly off the ignition switch with no fuse at all. It's hooked into the supply line from the ign. switch that supplies fuses 12 through 16. Fuse #7 may actually be totally unrelated.... here's a question - did your wiper washer ever work?

Sounds like either there is some strange previous owner wireing going on here, or the fuel pump control unit is actually dead. It can happen. Take a look at the wires coming off the unit and see if you can get voltage from the connector, and check the fuel pump power lead and see where that goes..... there may be a relay in the system supplied by the FPCU, so you might check those too. Turn on the headlights and find the relay that controls those - use that plug to test the other relays....

GD

jdzkjzdfjkxbvndlsdld!!!!

I'm starting to hate this car. It's one thing after another after another.

I checked the power at the FPCU. It was 11.40/11.30/11.45 on I beleive 4 out of the 6 connecters.

I tried swapping out the FPCU with another. Success! It runs.. No wait, now it's dead again. So it's running for a second, then dies. I can pump the gas and it runs for a second , then chokes out. I switch back to the old one. It runs again...:-\ Then will not at all. I switch back to the known good. It sort of works for a second. Then it won't. I go hook up the ghetto wiring again to see if it's a fuel pump issue, and then it works perfect. Okay, WTF? I un-hook the ghetto way, and hook the stock connecters back up again. It runs for a second, but I suspect that's just residual fuel in the filter. Now it won't run at all. I'm so lost. I have not yet been able to check the amps at the plug to the fuel pump when cranking, as I need another person.

I also took the only two relays under the dash out. I figured out which one was for the head lights, and swapped it to the other one to see if that was the issue. Still no. So now I'm back to everything hooked up the way it's supposed to be, and no go.

Any ideas? please.

take a look at the ignition switch harness - look at the pink connector and the wires going to and from the switch. If there is any evidence of meting, discoloration or burnt wires you may not be passing enough current to run the FPCU.

Also - check the wires going to the negative side of the coil - I think one of those (maybe the tach wire) runs the FPCU - that's how it knows the engine is running and to turn the fuel pump on.

GD