Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at buying a 1997 Outback: 180k miles

Hi-

I am looking at buying a 1997 Outback w/ 180k miles, auto. All regular maintence has been done on the car since purchased new.

Is there anything that I should look out for or expect to happen to the car based on the high mileage? How many miles can they go? I want to buy it but am hesitant because of the miles.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Well they can go lots of miles. Number one thing to check would probably be timing belt, 'cause if it snaps when driving (I'm guessing that Outback has the 2.5), you could bend some valves/knick some pistons. Could be head gasket integrity concerns.

Check/sniff the ATF too (guessing it's an auto trans?). If it smells burned or looks dark I'd think twice about buying (like drove for a distance on flat tire or something). Check for torque bind, like when driving it, cut the wheel all the way left and right and feel for any binding/excessive resistance to moving. Make sure all the tires are the same brand and tread wear is similar.

If you do the timing belt, might want to check that the screws on back of oil pump didn't loosen up. Water pump might be getting up there too. Plus cam & crank seals. Some years had alternator issues I think.

Louis :)

Perhaps an oil analysis would also be in order? The head gasket on my 97 Legacy (same engine) went at about 130k and is a suspected known problem for the 2.5L engine.

With that said, if you do decide to purchase this car keep an eye out for a drop in the coolant level. At the first sign of a leak have the gasket replaced with the new version.

It is possible, though not likely that a coolant flush and use of Subaru's additive would prevent the head gasket from going but I wouldn't count on it.

Perhaps an oil analysis would also be in order? The head gasket on my 97 Legacy (same engine) went at about 130k and is a suspected known problem for the 2.5L engine.

With that said, if you do decide to purchase this car keep an eye out for a drop in the coolant level. At the first sign of a leak have the gasket replaced with the new version.

It is possible, though not likely that a coolant flush and use of Subaru's additive would prevent the head gasket from going but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. This is the kind of stuff I need to know now in order to make an informed decision. Still on the fence but might just give it a shot. I owned a Subaru years ago but the body rusted out while the engine and transmission remained strong. Great car.

Find out of the head gaskets have been replaced. Otherwise it's about a $1,200 job. I'd guess at least half have been. Price should be around $2500 or so.

We replaced ours at 140K preemptively. My sister in law bought it and now has $185,000 and it's still running well. The Michelin hydroEdge have plenty of tread left - with 65,000 miles on them.

I recently sold a 1999 Forester with 200,000 miles trouble free miles on it. As with many cars here in the salt-free deep south, the body was in pristine condition. I sold it because 200,000 miles is a lot of miles on any car, even a Subaru. At 200,000 the following repairs are likely to be needed:

Automatic transmission- at least a major rebuild at some point soon

Wheel bearing-200,000 miles is about average for Subaru wheel bearings

Timing belt replacement- at 200,000 miles new idlers and a tensioner are in order

Oil separator/rear seal-pull the engine to stop the minor, but annoying, oil leak

Altenator-I was lucky to get 200,000 miles on the original

Starter- same as above

AC-same as above

For someone able to pull the engine himself, two or three grand would go a long way toward restoring this car. For someone with the right equipment, a low mileage AT from a wrecking yard would be a good deal.

A high mileage car can be a very good deal, if you have the ability, time, and desire to do the repair work yourself.

i regularly see awesome deals on late 90's subaru's around here with closer to 100,000 miles on them. unless it's outright cheap i'd look elsewhere. but this all depends how reliable of a car you want and long you plan on keeping it and how good of a deal it is. if you want it for a year or two and not many miles then this is probably fine...but i still wouldn't buy a 2.5. i'd get a 2.2.

the 2.5 motor is suspect to headgasket issues and this car will have the 2.5. if the headgaskets were replaced at some point that's a good thing, but if not then that's a $1,500 job. the 2.2 which is found in late 90's subaru's as well does not have head gasket issues and as such is much more reliable.

here's the real key to this for me: at this mileage the timing belt tensioners and water pump need to be replaced. i can do this myself but if you were a friend or family member that lived to far away for me to do it for free i'd advise against it for this reason. at 200,000 just replacing the timing belt isn't good enough. if any one of the many pulleys has a bad bearing it will eat even a new timing belt very quickly. then the belt breaks and this is an interference engine so you'd have the possibility (probability) of major engine damage....at least valve damage if not piston.

that's high miles for an auto transmission. it's not as common to make the 200,000 - 300,000 miles that manual transmissions do. that being said, it is possible to buy automatic transmissions for this car for only $200-$300 dollars so it's not that expensive. but you'd have to be prepared to source the parts, get them and have someone install them for you ($150-$200 at a transmission shop). subaru parts may be scarce in your area (meaning higher prices for used parts).

good luck and have fun,