Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wiper upgrade need help

I decided to upgrade my wiper options on my 89 dl wagon to include the intermediate option. I replaced the wiper and light switches on the steering column with one that had the intermediate option. :headbang: But there has to be more that i have to change i know that, However i do not know what. Some suggestions would be nice. I hope the computer has nothing to do with it. Please help my manual does not even mention what controls the intermiediat wiper setting.:-\

well since you havent gotten any answers from anyone who knows more than I, I'll go ahead and put in my two bits... most wiper systems have a relay for the intermittent setting (thats what i call it, ive heard "interval" too...) so you should try tracing down a relay in your wiring diagrams.. im not sure there is one on the soob setup, but i mean.. as far as my knowledge goes, it sorta needs it.. the relay is *essentially* like the flasher unit you use for your turn signals.. so it shouldnt be that difficult, but as far as i know that should be your missing link.

i have no idea whether the actual motor assembly would be any different for int. wipers, but i cannot see any reason why.. it just needs that switching power to it.

well since you havent gotten any answers from anyone who knows more than I, I'll go ahead and put in my two bits... most wiper systems have a relay for the intermittent setting (thats what i call it, ive heard "interval" too...) so you should try tracing down a relay in your wiring diagrams.. im not sure there is one on the soob setup, but i mean.. as far as my knowledge goes, it sorta needs it.. the relay is *essentially* like the flasher unit you use for your turn signals.. so it shouldnt be that difficult, but as far as i know that should be your missing link.

i have no idea whether the actual motor assembly would be any different for int. wipers, but i cannot see any reason why.. it just needs that switching power to it.

i would really be intrested in any alternative wiper systems available, because my 91 loyale wipers suck! worst wipers ever!

There is an "intermittant wiper unit" located way up under the dash burried in the back somwhere. As mentioned it's sort looks like a flasher unit. I don't know if your harness would even have the plug for it however. Worth a look I suppose, but since no DL ever came with Int. wipers, I would imagine the harness support for it wouldn't even exist as I also doubt it was even a dealer option. You may have to run the wireing yourself.

GD

I'm lost in the could be, maybe if, sorta kinda, almost sounds like, double speak here. Someone want to translate??? Best part is he says" as far as I know", then comes right back with, "I have no idea". And nothing said was even close to what the original question asked...........

OK,,, Said my piece.... FLAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is an "intermittant wiper unit" located way up under the dash burried in the back somwhere. As mentioned it's sort looks like a flasher unit. I don't know if your harness would even have the plug for it however. Worth a look I suppose, but since no DL ever came with Int. wipers, I would imagine the harness support for it wouldn't even exist as I also doubt it was even a dealer option. You may have to run the wireing yourself.

GD

I was not sure it had the intermittant unit since it did not have the option. So i will try to find that. I did check the wire harness during installation and the only wire missing was the horn, and i did a pro job at that cannibalization. What really worries me though is if the computer mattered. I worry because i recently found out that the Horn clock and hazard fuse(when it blows) makes my car seem like the computer is dead.

There is an intermittant relay, it's tucked up above and forward of the fuse box. Your car may or may not have the plug for it, and I -think- there is an extra wire in the harness for the motor.

The relay is available from the dealer for the incredibly reasonable price of only $150 and change. :rolleyes:

I'm lost in the could be, maybe if, sorta kinda, almost sounds like, double speak here. Someone want to translate??? Best part is he says" as far as I know", then comes right back with, "I have no idea". And nothing said was even close to what the original question asked...........

OK,,, Said my piece.... FLAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin: no flame needed. I only responded because he hadnt gotten any help yet. sorry tom, i was in the middle of some things and my brains were a bit scrambled. I was also talking about a system that i know nothing about on the soobs, just trying to fill in with what general car knowledge i have.

besides, just to be fair to me, i DID open with "well since you havent gotten any answers from anyone who knows more than I, I'll go ahead and put in my two bits..." so if there was some vague language involved, sue me. like they said in the hitchiker's guide... "Zaphod's just this guy, you know??"

good luck with the project, im interested how it turns out.

incidentally, could you theoretically replace the relay with a rheostatic control of some sort on a vehicle without variable speed intermittents, and give it variable speed?

• 3 weeks later...

Well you all i figured it out. I went back to the junk yard and looked into the subaru rx that i got the switch out of and hanging from a bunch of wires was a very familiar blue hookup attached to a gray box marked wiper control. It was to the right of the steering column. I disconnected it and found mine on my car, mine had a male blue end with a green wire shorting from one side to the other, i hooked the wiper control to it and the wipers know work like a charm. The unit only costed me $5.00, The entire steering column switch unit costed $10.00, So a reasonable 15.00 to go from 2 speed to 3 speed wipers. I am so happy that i did not have to replace any wires or the wipermotor.:grin:

Thanks a load for all the info.

89Thorn

funny, about four days ago i was in a junkyard and found a wiper control unit dangling from a car.. i grabbed it, because on anything but dead low my variable speed intermittents sweep spastically across the windshield.. but my first thoughts were of this thread. i never dug it up to post that i found the unit, but obviously i wasnt needed :lol:

:banana: It is really nice though that even if it does not have these components it still has the essential guts of wires and recognizable hookups. :) However in intermittent setting the wiper will out of nowhere have a hicup the wiper goes to wipe and stops, after 2 seconds it restarts and acts normal. It only happens once in awhile So I can live with that.:D