Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newbie questions re- rear brake dust cover

hi all- thanks for providing this forum. found it through google groups and it looks very helpful.

i hate to take my 2000 obw to the dealer, but i made an appointment to have my diagnostic system checked cause i didn't pass ny inspection. ( 3 possible sensor issues) but that's not the point...

i notice A LOT of rust on my calipers and the rear dust covers behind the rotors are starting to rust through. how serious is this and should i have north coast subaru replace them?

and if you know another good indy shop in the nyc area, by all means let me know

thanks much !!!

Hello! I've got an '00OBW also and live in NY (Buffalo), and yep there's a lot of rust on the calipers, underbody, and all over the place, except the body panels yet, at least that I can see, thankfully. You could paint the calipers, say yellow I see that sometimes, with high temp paint if it bugs you.

I know you said passing inspection wasn't the point of your post, but did you have the check engine light on when you went in or disconnect the battery recently? There's lots of things that can be done to drop the emissions down for the test.

Rust on the calpers and some parts of the rotos are not a bad thing, its normal.

The backing plates i would get replaced, they help keep the abs sensors clean, and debree out of the bck of the discs. Not to mention the plates can fail and get into the the brake surfaces and make odd noises.... stranger things have happened.

nipper