Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another member with a convertible

• 1 year later...
Wolfdog, how about some pictures??

OK, so I'm a bit late posting.. :rolleyes: Finally recovered the pics from the memory card and uploaded them to my gallery:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5176

Jack, I'm still hunting replacement for the windshield gasket - any old EA81 coupes in the yards down your way?

--wd

Hey was that one for sale on ebay awhile back? Or craigslist? I seem to remember it and im assuming there are not a tone of silver convertibles with 4 spoke LX alloys around.

Yep, it's the one from Ebay from last summer. Been slowly working on it, and driving it everywhere last fall and this spring/summer. Still purrs beautifully, but had to lose the cracked windshield to pass safety and get it plated - hence the wrong windshield gasket in it now holding the new windshield in. Aching to get my paws on a proper coupe gasket so I can put the stainless steel trim back in..

--wd

well good luck with it. Is that the car that the carter-weber i sold you is going into? I love the convertibles as well as the 82/83 alloys you have on it. Those are the same wheels i have on my sedan.

As far as windshield gaskets you might want to talk to paul (moosens). I kno it would be alot but he has an entire 82 coupe with very low miles that is borderline restorable. Its got alot of rot but is daily driverish right now. If you run out of options maybe buy pauls coupe if its availible and take what u need to keep your fleet going?

Two companies....one out west and one here in the east.

Yep, at least two that were dealer-offered mods on new vehicles. There was one other, but suspect that it was definitely post-market. The main difference being that the dealer-sanctioned ones were definitely the professional end, mostly installing power tops and altering the back seat and rear deck to allow the top to retract fully below the window-line. The one pictured is a Matrix3 (long before the movie made it a cool name) conversion, originally sold from dealership in Louisianna. The post-market company operated out of Boston, and I have one of thiers as a parts donor. The donor car is not roadworthy, and the conversion was definitely on the less-professional side - the top retracted to sit above the back deck a-la old-style VW Beetle Cabriolet, and was manual rather than power.

Speaking of power, if anyone knows where I can get my paws on a wiring diagram for the M3, I'd love to get that top working. All the bits appear to be there, but someone's been at it with wire snips and electrical tape, so I don't really trust what's there. 'Sides, the power top ain't working and it's a bit of a hassle to raise/lower it, what with having to climb into the rear seat for leverage..

So, Paul, I hear you have a borderline coupe? If you ever decide to part it out, I'd be mighty interested in the weatherstrip for the quarter windows and windshield.. :)

Cheers,

--wd