Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock Sensor Problem Solved or Not ?

I have 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 190,000 miles 2.2lt...anywho..I had the CEL go off and the PCM at autozone read....Knock Sensor Malfunction in Bank 1....so I go ahead and purchase a new Knock Sensor...take the old one off and put the new one on.....AS soon as I started the car with the new one ...the Engine Missed and carried on, would not go at all...SO i took it off and cleaned the block with steel wool and put it back on....still the same...so i took the old one and cleaned it with steel wool and....it is running just fine....CEL Still on ..but no more missing and timing problems. ...So did I solve the problem or not....anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

You didn't say if there were any performance issues initially. Clear the code and see if it comes back?

I have 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 190,000 miles 2.2lt...anywho..I had the CEL go off and the PCM at autozone read....Knock Sensor Malfunction in Bank 1....so I go ahead and purchase a new Knock Sensor...take the old one off and put the new one on.....AS soon as I started the car with the new one ...the Engine Missed and carried on, would not go at all...SO i took it off and cleaned the block with steel wool and put it back on....still the same...so i took the old one and cleaned it with steel wool and....it is running just fine....CEL Still on ..but no more missing and timing problems. ...So did I solve the problem or not....anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

Oh I did forget to mention that....there was issues before I bought the new part...If I was going up hill the light would come on and the car would shutter and then wouldn't go very fast. and then eventually it would go back to normal in a matter of minutes....really it didnt only do it on hills...it would do it pretty much anytime. so when the light came on i drove straight to autozone and had them read the computer. Also another question I have the keyless entry on this car...but the remote doesnt work..I thought it was the remote battery so I bought a new one....but no luck..now I know there is an overide programming button on the car below the steering wheel...but I believe someone has removied it from the car....because its missing...is there any way to replace that...or get the programming to work any other way?

Sounds like your knock sensor might be a little too sensitive, or you have some engine condition causing a lot of knock. It also sounds like maybe the aftermarket knock sensor might not have matched OE specs completely. Could maybe try going up a hill with the knock sensor disconnected and see if it acts up. For the remote, you might just have to 'program' your vehicle to recognize that remote's code; check the manual.

Ok, Well whatever was wrong with the knock sensor is now fixed, No problems so far. I am still wanting to get the keyless entry working...the only thing I can find in the manual is that I need to press the overide programming button...problem is that the button is not there? HELP?

Ok, Well whatever was wrong with the knock sensor is now fixed, No problems so far. I am still wanting to get the keyless entry working...the only thing I can find in the manual is that I need to press the overide programming button...problem is that the button is not there? HELP?

Time for a new thread on Keyless entrys.....

I have a new Subaru 01-02 entry system (plug and play) due to arrive in the mail any day now. I'm looking to sell it...CHEAP! I purchased it just for the remotes.

Oh ya, I had the same "knock sensor bank 1 malfunction" code last week.

Cleared it and it has not reared it's ugly head again...so far...:rolleyes:

I've had two cars now with bum knock sensors and neither had crappy driving on account of it. My car's was broke for ages and no issues and a friend with a 97 had her's completely cut from the ECU and the car didn't carry on. I definitely think there are deeper issues here - knock sensors aren't that effective on how the engine runs.

Well, the 97 did feel a bit underpowered, but it didn't carry on as this person describes.
The mileage went from 22 to 18. The power was down and I could notice. But my wife didn't notice any difference. You must press the gas pedal to be able to tell.