Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 hatch

Personally I think a hatch has a back door (what we call a boot, in aus) that hasn't (or has very little) horizontal shape. The EA82 Subaru coupe is a coupe, not a hatch, as it took over from the EA81 coupe. Which to my knowledge wasn't ever referred to as a hatch...

Therefore I think there never was EA82 hatch

Actually - the term "hatchback" derives from the first hatchbacks of the 60's. Such as the 66 Plymouth Barracuda...

cudabk.jpg

The definition has nothing to do with the "angle", but the fact that the rear glass is part of the "trunk lid", and that the rear seats fold flat, and the rear cargo area is accesible from the back seat. All these qualifications are met by the EA82 "3 door", so it IS a hatch.

The EA81 coupe has a trunk (or boot if you like) in the traditional sense - seperate from the rear glass, and the rear seat does not fold down, nor is the trunk accesible from the back.

What we are actually lacking is an EA82 coupe. It would be a sedan looking thing with only two doors - but they never made one.

GD

Whatever, but my point still stands.

The EA82 3 door took over from the EA81 coupe and the EA81 hatch was still being made. Therefore I think Subaru ment that the EA82 3 door was a coupe and the EA81 hatch was a hatch.

Here are some of the pictures of the first Hatchbacks ever I could find.

Aston Martin DB2/4

am011328.jpg

Austin A40

Austin.jpg

And plenty still believe the Renault 4 was the first hatchback true ever in the early 60's....

250px-R4_2_h_sst.jpg

I also define coupe as what people call "Sporty" where a hatch is a cheap "economical" car. And seems the EA82 3 door also came in the RX form I would say it is a coupe.

No more of this, believe what you want, I really don't care. I don't even like the look of most hatchbacks, including the 3 door EA82, although a rightly modded EA81 hatch is just sexy. :headbang:

Yes - I know what you mean. The Justy took over for the EA81 hatch line as the "compact fuel saver", so there was no "need" for a short wheelbase EA82.

As most hatchbacks are two door's, I think it's probably best to say that the "hatchback" is a sub-catagory of "coupe". So in a sense we are both right in different ways.

GD