Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL Wagon in CA transmission problem, want to sell w/o smog

OK, so I posted about my transmission issue on this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63305

But now I had the only shop I used to trust "look" at it and then they offerred me assistance in donating the vehicle (Which let me just tell you really set me off. I pay them $90 to say yeah, we think there is internal transmission damage and you should get a new vehicle. I'm sure they didn't even look into the possible fixes listed in the above thread.)

Anyway, now I'm in sort of a pickle as I don't know how to get this fixed or even honestly checked out and I can't sell it without passing the smog test in CA. It will pass the smog I believe but I've got to the the check engine light off again (3rd time in 2 years) which is just more of my time and money without knowing to what it will lead.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sell this car in CA without the smog? Or any suggestions on somewhere to take this to get a legit opinion on the transmission issues?

Sorry to post twice on this forum this week but I don't know what else to do. I have considered trying to adjust/replace the reverse-2-3 band myself (as silverhelme suggested in the other thread) but I've had a hard time finding a place to do it.

I'm in San Diego and appreciate any assistance.

It was the purge solenoid last time. Hopefully that's the problem as I pulled an extra from the junkyard last time and can just replace it. I simply haven't checked the diagnostic yet because before the transmission issue I had no thoughts of selling the vehicle and it doesn't need a smog until next October...