Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Spark Plug Change Help!

99 Impreza Outback Sport...

I want to inspect and probably change the spark plugs on my Impreza and I realize that the job is a pain in the rump roast but I like to do as much of my own wrenching as I can.

Can anybody tell me any likely problems/hints regarding changing plugs??

My first question would be: When standing facing the car, I tried to pull the left front plug as it appears to be the easiest to reach and wanted to inspect that plug as I bought the car used and haven't the slightest idea when the plugs were last changed. I pull and pull on that plug wire end and I can't seem to get it to break. I realize there is suction there at the plug itself and I didn't pull hard enough to possibly damage plug wires. Is this normal?

Secondly: It looks like the easiest way to do this job is to pull the air cleaner housing and the windshield washer tank. Is this correct?

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

UMT

Yup. Pull the air box and the windshield washer tank. Makes it a lot easier to get in there.

If they haven't been changed in a long time, the wires probably are stuck on there good. Have a good pair of pliers on hand for when they break and leave those little metal end thingies stuck to the coil. The plugs might be tight too. It would be a good idea to duct tape your spark plug socket to the end of your ratchet extension. You don't want that thing falling down the plug tunnel. Put some anti-seize compound on the new plugs, to make removal next time easier.

You might twist the spark plug wire end clockwise and ccw a little bit to make sure it's free in the hole. If there's much oil down in there or if the previous installer really went crazy with the dielectric grease it might take a little yanking to pull it out.

If the plug wires look in bad shape or you're planning on replacing them anyway, then you don't really have to worry about damaging them when taking them out.

If you loose the socket or anything down in the hole while working, just make sure you have a good strong one of those extendible magnets at the ready and it'll pull it out. Taping is an excellent idea too.

When you put the plugs in, I'd definitely put some antisieze on as suggested previously. And don't over torque them. The torque is almost surprisingly low.

Well, done deal.

Piece of cake. Took about two hours and I was basically putzing around and not trying to set no speed records and yes, helps if you have decent set of tools.

Intake Air filter box basically removes with 2 bolts making it easy to get at that side. Windshield washer tank is 2 bolts and unplug 2 hoses and 2 electrical connections and wallah! ,, that side easy to get to. Much easier than it looks at first glance.

Once again, Thanks To All for your hints/etc....

UMT

One last comment, the ONLY way to change spark plugs is to remove that Intake Air Box and the Washer tank. They both come off easily. Trying to R&R those plugs with those two items in the way would make a simple, fairly easy job turn into a knuckle busting pain in the rump roast.

UMT