Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's done the rear ebrake conversion?

specifically with 200SX calipers on a 4-lug car

I got my 200SX calipers a few months ago, but just got the chance to put them in now....and the bracket that holds the actual cable hits the trailing arm. Luckily I wasn't actually replacing the handle/cables just yet, so I just pulled off that bracket, but if I want to do it, I'll have to figure something out.

it's close, so I suspect that with the bigger rotor/backing plate from the XT6, a 5-lug setup would keep it far enough away. too bad I didn't think to check it...since I've got XT6 backing plates in a box here anyway :-\

so, I don't remember who exactly has done the swap....was it on a 4-lug car? did you have this problem?

I took a ton of pictures....and will be posting a full write-up later tonight

I appreciate the link, but that doesn't really help me, since I've already got nissan 200SX rear calipers on the car. and will be using legacy handle/cables.

here's what I'm talking about. in this picture, the top bolt on the caliper bracket is in, so you can see the bracket for the cable hitting the trailing arm (circled in red). and you can also see how close that second bolt is. I suspect the bigger backing plate from the XT6 would keep that far enough away that it wouldn't matter, which is why I think it'd be ok for those swapped to 5-lug, but 4-lug stuff is just a bit too small.

PICT1813.jpg

I'm going to try to just bend the bracket, since the cables will need some serious adjustment to get them to work right anyway...

wow, thats some pretty lookin rust you got there:grin:

Anyways, I know XSNRG has done a rear ebrake conversion onto one of his RXs and I *think* it was one that was still a 4-lug pattern but I cannot quite remember.

Ha, I found the thread which he started... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31217&highlight=rear+ebrake

Maybe I'll just have to go with a line lock on the rear with the rear disk conversion.

What do you use for front calipers with this, or do you just leave the de-cabled stock calipers?

yes you can use the stock calipers since the ebrake mechanism on those is external so there's no parts that are needed for the brakes to function properly.

wow, thats some pretty lookin rust you got there:grin:

Anyways, I know XSNRG has done a rear ebrake conversion onto one of his RXs and I *think* it was one that was still a 4-lug pattern but I cannot quite remember.

Ha, I found the thread which he started... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31217&highlight=rear+ebrake

thanks for the link, and now that I look at it, I've read it before. anyway, XSNRG ground on the holder to make it clear, but I don't think it's quite that close. I'm afraid that in order to grind enough off, I'll grind it right through :eek:

good to know he did it with a 4-lug car though!

and yes, all the conversion parts where pulled from a MN junkyard, and the trailing arms and such were from my '85, which was an iowa car.....just a little rust there