Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P1507 Rough idle and where to go from here?

OK, I'm going to be cleaning the IAC, and I'll probably pop in a new PVC valve. All fine and good, but what pins on the engine wiring connector do I check in relation to this? We had a problem with this car recently where the ignitor pins were not making good contact and we kept loosing cyls 3 + 4.

Oh, and nipper: this is on a 98 Outback 5MT EJ25 98K miles

Recent work: headgaskets, new seals, timing belt, Oil pumo O-ring and refurb, valve job (1 new valve) and a new clutch.

Other than the IAC and PVC, what areas should I look into?

I've been chasing this same thing for the last few months-and unfortunately, I don't have an answer yet. I think I've narrowed mine down to a MAF fouled by the cold air intake and new (crappy) cone filter installed right before the problem started. I've finally tracked down the factory intake assembly which I should probably have later this week, and I have a used MAF to install when the intake gets here. If you have a K&N type filter or cold air intake, you might want to look at that as a possibility. I've found a lot of info researching this problem, and that seems to be a fairly consistent cause.

I have replaced the IAC, temp sensor, coil, plugs, plug wires in the process of tracking the problem down, but so far they haven't helped. MPG is also down on my car lately. I've found this to be a pretty frustrating thing to troubleshoot, since on my car at least, its intermittent enough that I think I've fixed it and then it comes back. Good luck!

Have you cleaned the throttle body? Next time the rough idle sets in you might check the inj. plugs with a noid light to make sure the E.C.U. is working proper.

OK, I'm going to be cleaning the IAC, and I'll probably pop in a new PVC valve. All fine and good, but what pins on the engine wiring connector do I check in relation to this? We had a problem with this car recently where the ignitor pins were not making good contact and we kept loosing cyls 3 + 4.

Oh, and nipper: this is on a 98 Outback 5MT EJ25 98K miles

Recent work: headgaskets, new seals, timing belt, Oil pumo O-ring and refurb, valve job (1 new valve) and a new clutch.

Other than the IAC and PVC, what areas should I look into?