Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTB 78 California Ignition unit OR 80's electronic disty.

Looking for a 1978, California electronic ignition unit for someone.

Here is a pic:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8179/1000753vx7.jpg

It is mounted on the firewall and is unusual, 1978 was still Points for the rest of the US. It's an oddball. The standard Nippondenso ignition unit won't work.

Todd

Hi Todd,

I'll keep an eye out for one of those for you. I actually put one of those set ups on my 49 states '78 GF about 15 years ago. As far as I remember, there wasn't anything unusual about the swap. So, maybe a standard distributor/ignition could be put in to keep 'er running in the mean time?

Actually, this is for a friend in CA. I'm completely unfamilar with the CA system. I sent him a 1979 Nippondenso unit and the wiring is different. I'm going to have to look at the 2 and see what is different.

Todd

I rememeber it was just a two piece set (distributor and control module). The two go together, but interface to the rest of the vehicle wiring in the usual way. Module might be very hard to find. But a swap back to standard components might be the ticket...

Update: My brother says it was a fairly rare set up. Only shipped on very late model, stage-2 automatics destined for California.

Guess what guys? There's one new one left! Part number is 420872022. List price is $349.99, but if you sleep better at night knowing you're getting a brand-new part (like me :lol: ), then you can go for it!

I'll tell him! I doubt he will go for it!

Todd

• 1 year later...

Todd,

I don't have my parts book handy, but this looks like the correct one:

http://tinyurl.com/4jegxd

If link is not OK, just search for "420872022" on eBay. Good seller, but we should double check the P/N (and any supercedes) though.

EDIT: Oops! Memory is failing me... I thought you were looking for the EI distributor. I see you were looking for the EI control module. I'll keep an eye out...

Looking for a 1978, California electronic ignition unit for someone.

Here is a pic:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8179/1000753vx7.jpg

It is mounted on the firewall and is unusual, 1978 was still Points for the rest of the US. It's an oddball. The standard Nippondenso ignition unit won't work.

Todd