Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing problems

You have it timed with the valve marks and not the ignition marks on the flywheel right?

Time the belts first, then do the distributor - ALWAYS do the distributor after you move the belts as it's driven off the cam.

GD

The valve marks are the three together that come up after the numbered ones right?

Yep, i am going to replace the timing belts, the passenger side is a hair stretched (when the middle line is lined up it is almost into the next valley instead of TDC. We turned the disty one tooth and it ran rough, had to keep the throtle cracked to keep it at an idle. Something is off, i just dont know what other than a maybe the TB is streched.

GD summed it up. in order to be certain of the timing, it is best to remove the belts, and reset the valve timing first.. and once you have the belts on, everythings 180 apart the way it needs to be (if you dont know the procedure on installing timing belts, make sure you look it up on the forum, and read about it) then its time to set the distributor timing. changing things based on the timing with the green wire unplugged shouldnt hurt anything, (i dont think) but its useless... but you need to do this process in the right order so you know for certain that valve timing is correct, then distributor timing.. then it becomes a quality of spark or a fuel/compression issue.