Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I finally worked on my brakes

Since I got my Brat back in the beggining of 2005 the brakes haven't been to good. Pedal sinking half way down. And it felt like they were fading. Give it a few pumps and they felt ok but still a third down the pedal. It was drivable, and safe enough. I tried adjusting the rear brakes (drums) but it didn't help. I also bleed the brakes on all four corners 2 or 3 times, but still no better. So a couple of weeks ago I pulled the rear drums off to re weld the 6 stud conversion again (first time round I used a arc welder, this time I hada mig) and noticed the shoes were almost to metal... So I got some new shoes fitted them, adjusted right, and still the pedal went down a third before any braking. So Yesterday I bleed the two nipples on the master cylinder then all the wheels in the order it says in the manual (rear right, front left, rear left, front right.) Then as soon as I tested the pedal it was right at the top. Took it for a drive and it was perfect. I don't know how quick I can stop with these new shoes and bleed brakes as I am still breaking the shoes in, but it feels good so far. Maybe I won't bother about the expencive rear disc setup after all and spend the money on a LSD. I must say, I am overly happy with how my car stops now.

I haven't done many of these types of posts before, I noramaly just answer and ask questions. But what the hell..

So, when bleeding your brakes, bleed the master cylinder too!

Now that I've waisted a few minutes of your time, Enjoy this pic.

brumby_blackorange.jpg

Definately. MC always wants bleeding it seems if the level goes down too far.

The rear discs are nice, but a well adjusted set of drums does very well too. The biggest difference for the EA81's is the disc's are self-adjusting. Now they did make self adjusting drums too for the later EA82's, and the adjusters should fit without any trouble.

The discs are great - set of pads, and forget about them for another 50,000 miles. Self adjusting drums are ok, but I've had a few catostrophically fail and lock the wheel up when the shoes get worn out.... the non-self adjusting style SUCK cause they are out of adjustment 90% of the time.

GD

Only problem I have found with it all now that it is working is there isn't much meat on the new shoes and it leaves the adjusters close to full adjust which leaves not much more adjustment... How many times can you put the word adjust in a sentence?

I would have to say that I would be able to adjust that sentence in order to squeeze the word adjust in a few more times with only a few minor adjustments.

wow this is like three or four subjects ive been thinking of tonight, by myself, that have been addressed in posts on this forum.. this is getting creepy. i dont think i ever bled the MC, and i dont know if i bled the brakes in "proper" order or not.. but ive been pumping once or twice for two years now, wwithout it getting better or worse... thru brake jobs, etc...

another must do.

Okay.. let me take this opportunity to apologize. I've had an abcessed tooth (minor) for the past few days, and my heads been a little wobbly... So I've been posting left and right, and making ignorant mistakes in my reading comprehension, and my memory.. (for instance, i failed to pay attention to the fact that Phiz was talking about a brat, and I a GL10...)

just goes to show you that even at a low dose, them narcotics catch up to you eventually... I hope i havent confused anyone too bad, or made anyone scratch their heads and wonder if i used to eat paint chips....:banana: