Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swap legacy and outback struts

Well, now I don't know for sure about those model years, but the other threads seemed to indicate to look for Outback springs/struts for the same year as the subject Legacy. In another thread I saw King Springs makes some sweet springs but you have to get them shipped from Australia.

I've got a '96 legacy wagon and am planning to order '96OBW KYB struts and either King Springs or OE '96OBW springs. Already have new OE mounts, etc.

Well, now I don't know for sure about those model years, but the other threads seemed to indicate to look for Outback springs/struts for the same year as the subject Legacy. In another thread I saw King Springs makes some sweet springs but you have to get them shipped from Australia.

I've got a '96 legacy wagon and am planning to order '96OBW KYB struts and either King Springs or OE '96OBW springs. Already have new OE mounts, etc.

yea but iam not in the market right now for spending a lot of $ thats why iam looking at used struts......spark

i have a 93 leg and i want to know also i can't find anything....ok everybody fess up ,,,what yr outback struts will fit a '92 or '93 .....

spark

have you found out anything? i don't think they made outbacks in '92 or '93 so how do you swap for same year as someone suggested? i can't believe some one doesn't know!

98 Outback struts will fit on a 90 yeilding 1.25" in front and 1.75" in the rear. The Post facelift cars (92-94) the spring perches are in a slightly different location and springs are different in the rear so your results may vary. On my 90 I used my original springs and hardware. Check Legacycentral.org there is some detailed info in the suspension section. If you need I can get the measurements of the 98 outback struts measured from the top of the lower mount flange to the weld at the bottom of the spring perch for comparison.

no no

i was saying what outback years(struts) will fit legacy wagons yrs 92' and 93'.........lol

yes, i know what you mean. i was saying you can't swap struts if thet didn't make outbacks in '92 or '93 because someone said you could do that. like you, i'm trying to find out WHAT YEAR OUTBACK STRUTS WILL FIT A 1992 LEGACY! HOLY CRAP! IT MUST BE A REALLY STUPID QUESTION BECAUSE NOBODY KNOWS!:mad:

it appears as no one has answered your question directly. well dont get excited, neither am i.

the question becomes whether or not they changed the under carrige , suspension and wheel parts, when they redesigned the legacy in 95. i don't know, but my guess is not totally. but it will cost you about 50$ to get a strut from the junk yard and swap it your self. then you'll know.

I guess the point I was trying to make was ANY 96-99 Outback strut will indeed fit, as in it should bolt up with no modifications. The spring perches and lower mounting brackets are the same as first gen. The main difference is the distance between them which yields the lift. The main difference between the 89-91's and the 92-94's is the position the spring perch is welded on the strut, it reportedly varies by 1/2"-3/4" between the two. I did my home work and measured my 90 before ordering.

I'll give you the dimensions of the 98 Outback KYB GR-2's I bought and put on my car. You can then measure the same on your existing struts and should be able to determine the amount of lift you'll get in your application.

The most consistent place to measure is from the bottom of the spring perch where the perch is welded to the body of the strut putting the end of the tape measure against the semi-circular drain opening then measuring down to the top of the flange of the lower mounting points, see crude diagram below.

|

_

||

\_/____

|| Measure here,

||____ to Here.

I I:]

On my 90 the front was 4" and the rear was 5 7/8" (Subaru factory struts)

The 98 Outback Struts currently on the car are 5 1/4" in the front and 7 3/4" in the rear (KYB GR-2's), compare these measurements to what is on the car now and you'll then know how much lift you'll get using stock springs and tophats. From what I understand the fronts you could bolt in the entire Outback assembly springs tophats and all but the rear is the one that is more difficult if you don't want to use your springs and tophats.

Disclaimer:

Some assembly required, batteries not included, void where prohibited, if rash or irritation persists see your doctor.

i got them at napa for 160.00 a pair. said napa on the box. i guess the tire rack is pretty reasonable for struts. did i read somewhere that if i switch to outback struts they must use outback specs for alignment? is this a fact? might be good to know.

i got them at napa for 160.00 a pair. said napa on the box. i guess the tire rack is pretty reasonable for struts. did i read somewhere that if i switch to outback struts they must use outback specs for alignment? is this a fact? might be good to know.
$320...wow....did you install them or have them installed?