Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of buying a 96 impreza

Ok I have 1 96 impreza ob 131k runs like a champ, I feel this car stil has tons of life left, just did lots of the majors as far as service have only the timing belt, water pump, and seals to do.

Now I have an opportunity to purchase for $500<maybe even cheaper> a 96 impreza in this condition

It's a awd hatchback it has 189000 miles I have driven it 80 miles day for the last couple of yrs no problem. The car is 5 speed. It has good inspection through 12/06. It needs new front brakes and a tune up. I just replaced the muffler system. It also has one busted shock on the front passenger side. here are some pics.

Now what I want to know is if I put the money out for the car and put some money into, fix the shock, replace the filters, spark plugs, wires, tires, etc will I be able to depend on a vehicle with that high mileage for at least 2 years or so. I understand no one here has a crystal ball just looking for a reasonable estimation as to when these things die. Now I know from my current ride that I feel 200k is very doable, how much past that will these go if I bring it up to spec. Thank you, I greatly appreciate the helpfulness of this community and I really enjoy my subie. Jay.

you need two cars? you're getting rid of yours and getting this higher mileage one? i'm confused how the first impreza plays a part in this decision.

these vehicles won't have a problem lasting well past 200,000 miles. what you're assuming when you do this though is that the previous owner(s) took care of the vehicle. all the oil changes were done in a timely manner, any oil leaks were addressed properly and the engine was never overheated. the more miles it has on it, the more chance it has of being neglected, run hot, etc.

in general though this is a great car and a great motor, i look at subaru's all the time for sale and it's no big thing to see them running great with 250,000 miles for sale. inspect it well and plan on a few expenses and you're golden. after 200,000 miles it's not that odd to have an alternator, starter or wheel bearing to cause an issue. these are minor and the engine should be fine. what i'd pay most attention to is the clutch and engine condition.

My other subie really has no part in this decision, I am keeping it of course as my wife and I drive it quite a bit. It would be nice to have 2 cars available as there are times one of us would like to go elsewhere but cannot unless we bum a ride. Thanks for the info, I was already thinking about the clutch as I had to replace the one in my current sube at 110k I am familiar with how they feel when they are getting ready to go. Thanks again, Jay.