Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT Problem- No Reverse 4EAT 93 SW

OK, I've done the regularly mentioned things like SEA FOAM Trans Tune, full flush by removing the return line from the radiator, went through over a case of fluid. Old fluid did not smell burnt, noticed a small amount of fine metal fillings in the bottom of the bucket I used for discharge tube. Drives great in all forward gears, will hold each gear when shifting manually, down shifts for passing on freeway. Just does not move in reverse, it sounds like the trans is definetely in reverse when shifted from neutral, changes pitch. I've ordered a rebuild manual specifically for the Subaru 4EAT from a company in Texas that also sells an entire rebuild kit, but it has not arrived yet. Thought I'd put it out there to the group to see who else has dealt with this and possible solutions.

PS: If your interested in the rebuild, drop me a line.

James

Your tranny is dying. i dont like that you actually saw particles in the oil, usually they stay in the pan. That means something is actually chewing itself up. Only a matter of time before you loose forward motion.

Swap it out, dont rebuild it. There arent alot of parts in the kit, but you need alot of special tools, and its not something that you want to devlop a learning curve on.

nipper