Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas mileage, new plugs, huh?

Car: 2000 Outback wagon (2.5L, auto)

Miles: ~94,000

Last week Thursday (8/31) I had the dealer perform:

*Coolant flush/fill

*New fuel filter (though seeing the instructions on this site I could have saved myself ~$25 and done it myself!)

Friday after work I fill the tank, then drive my 35 miles home.

Saturday 9/2 I drove it about 60-70 miles.

Then Sunday (9/3) I changed the plugs to the ones the book listed (NGK BKR6E-11 V-power) and the NGK as was recommended here. Bit of oil in each one (I'll get to the seals at another point in time), one of them a bit more than the others.

When changing the plugs I removed the washer reservoir and the air intake (up to the elbow at the cleaner element compartment, which I left in place). Pretty sure I put it all back right--I know when I had my air filter checked at Jiffy Lube (don't shoot me) they didn't put the filter compartment back together right and I was having some noise on acceleration, but that's not the case here.

Since I had driven the car earlier (30 miles?) I let it sit for several hours (3-4) to cool before removing the plugs. During this time I did yard work and hand cleaned the engine compartment and components with a damp cloth.

I also started to disconnect the battery (negative first) so I could clean under/around it but it sparked once or twice while I was loosening the bolt so I said "Screw it" and just left it in place.

Monday 9/4 I didn't drive it much, maybe 10-12 miles (lazy day!).

Yesterday I drove about 80-85 miles total.

So last night on the way home I notice my gas gauge is dropping a bit fast, and the mileage on the trip meter only read about 120 miles but I was below half a tank.... I usually get 340 on a tank. I just put 11 gallons in it this morning, for 165 total miles (according to the resetable trip meter), which isn't right. I know I didn't reset it immediately after getting gas, but I'm pretty sure I didn't drive 100+ miles before resetting it.

I'm heading on a 145 mile (each way) trip tomorrow, doing some tooling around, then 145 miles back. Normally I could do this on one tank but I'm not so sure now. There's no CEL on and the car drives as usual.

I guess I'll find out how this fresh tank does since I know I reset the trip meter, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to what this might be? Adding up my mileage it's close to 200, and I had about a quarter tank left.... so it's a bit short of what it should be. Would an issue with new plugs cause that? The spark from the negative terminal? Is there a reset I should do (removing the battery power completely) before I leave to let it all reset to 0?

If it happens when I'm gone, I'll take it to the dealer but I'd rather not worry about it, obviously! I thought maybe it was the fuel sender unit but since the gauge was reading accurately (based on my fill up this morning), I don't think it's that.

I'll pick up a new air filter today, but don't think that can be the cause of it that drastically nearly overnight.

Thanks!

Long-winded post, I know, but I tried to give as much detail. Front O2 sensor is a bit under 50k miles old, it was done as part of a recall at about 44-45k miles. Wires are probably stock wires, I didn't change them. The other items I mentioned in my post: Coolant & fuel filter replaced Thursday, filled up Friday, then again Tuesday.

Thanks.

:)

dohod1.gif

After resetting my ECU (pulling the negative cable) I let the car sit and went to drive home after work. Car started up fine and I pulled out of the lot. Hit the trip meter button so I could keep an eye on the mileage and :confused: It said 0.0 mi.

Disconnecting the battery also reset the trip meter. :eek:

From my original post:

"I also started to disconnect the battery (negative first) so I could clean under/around it but it sparked once or twice while I was loosening the bolt so I said "Screw it" and just left it in place."

Well, my take now is DUH! (also DOH! as the picture implies), that's why my trip meter showed ~100 miles and half a tank... it reset when I undid the battery!

:clap:

Well, I did learn a lot in this anyway, so it's not a loss at all. And the car seemed extra smooth on the way home, too. Probably just a coincidence....

I'll still double-check the gap in the plugs when I get back. Don't want to mess with too much of a good thing... if that's unwise then I'll check them in the A.M. before I leave since it'll be cold, but would rather wait til I return when I can take my time.

dohod1.gif

After resetting my ECU (pulling the negative cable) I let the car sit and went to drive home after work. Car started up fine and I pulled out of the lot. Hit the trip meter button so I could keep an eye on the mileage and :confused: It said 0.0 mi.

Disconnecting the battery also reset the trip meter. :eek:

From my original post:

"I also started to disconnect the battery (negative first) so I could clean under/around it but it sparked once or twice while I was loosening the bolt so I said "Screw it" and just left it in place."

Well, my take now is DUH! (also DOH! as the picture implies), that's why my trip meter showed ~100 miles and half a tank... it reset when I undid the battery!

:clap:

Well, I did learn a lot in this anyway, so it's not a loss at all. And the car seemed extra smooth on the way home, too. Probably just a coincidence....

I'll still double-check the gap in the plugs when I get back. Don't want to mess with too much of a good thing... if that's unwise then I'll check them in the A.M. before I leave since it'll be cold, but would rather wait til I return when I can take my time.

no bicuit for you. yes it does reset, and you also reset the computers, and wiped out all the memory of your driving pattern and habits (the car know you like that drivethrough way too much ;))

So its no weird that it is running better, give it a month or so to relearn how you drive.

nipper