Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob needs advice - Used '03 Legacy GT Wagon

Hello all,

First off, I am new to the forum as the wife and I are looking around at Outbacks and Legacy Wagons. We'd love to get a brand new Outback, but even with the current rebates, after all of the options we'd want, the car falls out of our price range. The car will be for my wife, and she has finally found one that fits her eye.

I am seeking information about the 2003 Legacy GT Wagon. My local Subaru dealer has one on the lot with 40,000 miles and is asking $15,900. It has an automatic transmission with sportshift and has all the bells and whistles the wife is looking for. It is also "certified pre-owned" and the carfax looks clean. There is a recall item noted as: "Recall #WWK941 A/T parking rod recall" and I will check with them to make sure it was handled.

I've done the usual edmunds.com and kbb.com research, and have looked at cars101.com as well. We will be taking a look at the car tomorrow night (Thursday) and I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Does the price/mileage sound right?

Is this a year/model to avoid?

Is it worth missing the first football game of the season to go and look at the car? I still can't believe I agreed to that one!

I have searched the forum and have found posts about head gasket leaks on the 2.5L and was wondering if this car was a prime candidate for that?

In addition, are there any other problems I should look for when we test drive the car?

As for me, I have a '94 BMW 325is (e36). I mention that because anyone familiar with the e36 knows that the cooling system (radiator, waterpump, t-stat, fan clutch) contains many plastic components that can and will fail at 80k miles. This is a common problem with the e36, and I am looking for similar types of issues that the '03 Legacy might have. Being new to Subuaru, and AWD and Sportshift, I do not have the common knowledge of such problems, and I'm sure you regular members will be able to point me in the right direction.

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks for your time. We look forward to being regulars on the forum. However I will have to change my user id :)

--Will

Does the price/mileage sound right?

Is this a year/model to avoid?

Is it worth missing the first football game of the season to go and look at the car?

Yes, sounds reasonable for a dealer... here in SLC it would probably be priced similarly or higher.

No, not a year or model to avoid IMO.

Yes. But I'm not a football fan :-p

I wouldn't worry about head gaskets on an 03+ Subaru. Sounds like a good candidate for purchase IMO. I'm not aware of any red flags to worry about on this one unless it was abused or not maintained properly.

Steve

Hello all,

First off, I am new to the forum as the wife and I are looking around at Outbacks and Legacy .............

--Will

Only issue is the 2.5 motor can have head gasket issues, this is a Phase II motor so they leak externally. Other than this issue, these cars are rock solid.

Failure rate of the HG depends on who you talk to.

The post 03 2.5 engine has few head gasket failures and if they do it is just an external that Subaru makes a goop for. A few folks have needed replacement gaskets but not very many.

I have a 99 BMW M Roadster so I know about the cooling issues. For some reason Subaru knows how to make good waterpumps and I have 128,000 on my 99 forester with no radiator problems. At 105,000 when you need a cambelt you may want to put a water pump on as they seem to last about 120,000.

That's a pretty good car with most of the bugs out. If it were me I'd get an extended warranty as you never really know what the former owner did to it. Some folks here are against it (warranty), but I sure got my money out of the extended warranty on my BMW fixing little things that would have added up.

The post 03 2.5 engine has few head gasket failures and if they do it is just an external that Subaru makes a goop for. A few folks have needed replacement gaskets but not very many.

I have a 99 BMW M Roadster so I know about the cooling issues. For some reason Subaru knows how to make good waterpumps and I have 128,000 on my 99 forester with no radiator problems. At 105,000 when you need a cambelt you may want to put a water pump on as they seem to last about 120,000.

That's a pretty good car with most of the bugs out. If it were me I'd get an extended warranty as you never really know what the former owner did to it. Some folks here are against it (warranty), but I sure got my money out of the extended warranty on my BMW fixing little things that would have added up.

My fathers 03 blew at 34k and my co-workers 03 blew at 84k.

They have still not totally worked out the HG bugs but maybe on the 05s?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

On the HG issue, does it at least start with a noticeable leak before it goes? Or is this a quick, catastrophic type of failure?

I will definitely ask the dealer about my warranty options. Other than HG, does auto tranny or sportshift have any potential issues I need to be on the lookout for?

Can anybody recommend a maintenance/service book for this car? For instance (as Cookie probably knows) the popular publisher for BMW maintenance books is Bentley. Are there any good DIY sites or forums for maintenance as well?

Sorry for the 20 q's. I do a lot of my own work on the e36, and I'm just trying to find the analogous resources for Subarus.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

On the HG issue, does it at least start with a noticeable leak before it goes? Or is this a quick, catastrophic type of failure?

I will definitely ask the dealer about my warranty options. Other than HG, does auto tranny or sportshift have any potential issues I need to be on the lookout for?

Can anybody recommend a maintenance/service book for this car? For instance (as Cookie probably knows) the popular publisher for BMW maintenance books is Bentley. Are there any good DIY sites or forums for maintenance as well?

Sorry for the 20 q's. I do a lot of my own work on the e36, and I'm just trying to find the analogous resources for Subarus.

HG on these is external leak, got some time to fix, not a catastrophic blow up.

Auto tranny does not have issues, just keep the fluid clean.

Service books are all about Factory Service Manuals, you can download them on-line or buy the books at dealer/ebay.

No worries on the questions, great that you work on your own cars, these are very easy cars to work on. And parts are super cheap compaired to your BMW! :brow:

I had a head gasket leak on my 99 Forester that is pretty much the same engine. It was a tiny weep that I would not have noticed if I had not been looking. The coolant would go down maybe a pint between oil changes. The folks who had the car before probaly had it for a long time and never knew, but they watched the fluids.

If you don't open the hood you can cause problems as you leak until the fluid level becomes critical.

I understand the head gaskets were changed to the later type sometime in late 03 production but I have no idea when. I wonder what the production dates for the ywo cars RW mentions are?

I understand the head gaskets were changed to the later type sometime in late 03 production but I have no idea when. I wonder what the production dates for the ywo cars RW mentions are?

I did not know they changes the HG in 03, when I get back in town I will look at my dad's car and see what the build date is.

So, say I eventually (or prematurely) had this HG issue. Is there a newer/better HG to replace it with, or would I still be susceptible to this even after the repair?

Granted, I know all HG's will eventually fail, but I am talking about low mileage failures.

As for production date, I do have the VIN for the car. Is it possible to decode the production date from it? Otherwise I will just get it once I physically see the car. Is the production date stamped on the drivers side door pillar or in another location?

I have my BMW today so I can't look but I think the production date is on the door. On these later cars Subaru has been fairly good about warranty work on gaskets.

Cold climates have the most trouble with this so you and I in No CA don't have all that much burden. Still an extended warranty would be nice.

These days even Toyotas and Hondas have had gasket problems.

So, say I eventually (or prematurely) had this HG issue. Is there a newer/better HG to replace it with, or would I still be susceptible to this even after the repair?

Even the VERY few older vintage that had HG issues(not 03-07 2.5L),they were diagnosed in the first 10K miles. Your 03 is not even on the list..not an issue. figetaboutit! I'd be willing to bet with even no-service at all in 40k miles..that 03 motor is running perfect.

One owner suggestion..if your in a winter zone,do yourself a favor and read the reviews on the Dunlop M3 winter/sport tire at Tirerack..makes subbies bulletproof in all conditions as noted.

Just make sure it had/has the full 30K service done..flushes all fluids and power flush trans then new plugs,oil and filters...it's ready now for it's next 30K... enjoy. :)