Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found your forum with a web search, and I'm posting before I've really dug around here first. Bad practice I know, but I'm hoping to get initiated quickly! :banana:

I love the Baja concept. 4wd agility, pickup box good enough for most needs, four-door cab, car-like handling, yada yada.

But the PLASTIC. Am I the only one complaining about the plastic? At least body color would help. Ok, so the most recent years had body color.

Did Subie stop making the Baja?

What does it look like under the plastic? If you ripped all that crap off, what's it like under there?

I think I want a Baja. I just want to look into it and hear some feedback before I dig in. Are there any years/models to look for or avoid?

TIA.

Mmmm......yeah.

Not real pretty under the body cladding, I will have to agree. Also not that much under the thick plastic bedliner.

HOWEVER..... for the weight capacity (and beyond) of these trucks, it is MORE than enough. In typical SUBARU fashion.... light but strong.

Ever seen a brat? Super light chassis, and super thin sheet metal......but just try to break it. :brow:

I have done some pretty serious hauling with mine, (dirt, large rocks, hay, and even loads of firewood. The liner scratches easily, but short of dropping a chevy small block into the bed from 3 feet up, you will find it very hard to do serious damage.

Just my 2 cents

:cool:

The liner scratches easily, but short of dropping a chevy small block into the bed from 3 feet up, you will find it very hard to do serious damage.

Just my 2 cents

I'd be leary about dropping a cinderblock or throwing in stone which I did quite often with my BRAT without incident. I definately agree that for the average HomeCrapot Owner it is the perfect vehicle. The body cladding has definately grown on me since it isn't in your face anymore. It is still sold at least for 07 but I doubt much longer as it is off the old platform.

• 3 weeks later...
Mmmm......yeah.

Not real pretty under the body cladding, I will have to agree. Also not that much under the thick plastic bedliner.

HOWEVER..... for the weight capacity (and beyond) of these trucks, it is MORE than enough. In typical SUBARU fashion.... light but strong.

Ever seen a brat? Super light chassis, and super thin sheet metal......but just try to break it. :brow:

I have done some pretty serious hauling with mine, (dirt, large rocks, hay, and even loads of firewood. The liner scratches easily, but short of dropping a chevy small block into the bed from 3 feet up, you will find it very hard to do serious damage.

Just my 2 cents

Ohhh a real live Baja Owner, tell me more!

Very interested in this vehicle.

Kev

Yeah, its fine. But there are two baja's with toppers locally and everytime I see them I'm just like :lol:

Based on my Outback though, I'd say A baja is a great vehicle. Its no 3/4 ton truck, but who actually puts those things to use on a regular basis unless they're contractors?

Going to drive one tomorrow.

If we like it, there's a good chance we'll be buying one this weekend or this coming week! We'll see.

:headbang:

Going to drive one tomorrow.

If we like it, there's a good chance we'll be buying one this weekend or this coming week! We'll see.

:headbang:

My wife bought her an Outback. We did alot of research before bying it. Consumer's reports, ect, ect.:confused: After owning the Outback it did not take very long to decide the Baja was the right vehicle for me.:banana: It only has 2000 miles on it so far, handles like a sports car, nice on Maine coastal back roads.:headbang: and though the mods I have done are minimal(cosmetics) it looks good...Good luck.

My wife bought her an Outback. We did alot of research before bying it. Consumer's reports, ect, ect.:confused: After owning the Outback it did not take very long to decide the Baja was the right vehicle for me.:banana: It only has 2000 miles on it so far, handles like a sports car, nice on Maine coastal back roads.:headbang: and though the mods I have done are minimal(cosmetics) it looks good...Good luck.

Handles great, that would be SUCH a change after spending the past 5-6 years in a Jeep Cherokee (loved the Jeep, tough vehicle, but ready for a change I think).

Take the Baja any distance yet? How comfortable on the highway? How does it deal with rough roads?

I'm already certain I know how it deals with foul weather, as the Forrester we used to own was AWESOME.

Kev

Take the Baja any distance yet? How comfortable on the highway? How does it deal with rough roads?

I'm already certain I know how it deals with foul weather, as the Forrester we used to own was AWESOME.

Kev

I have taken mine over all kinds of roads, long trips, yadda, yadda... love it! Snow... eh, not so much...I seriously feel safer and more in control with my '86 BRAT. No ABS brakes or low end torque to contend with. The BRAT is way more sure-footed in severe weather (ice/snow). The Baja stays home during major storms :(

I have taken mine over all kinds of roads, long trips, yadda, yadda... love it! Snow... eh, not so much...I seriously feel safer and more in control with my '86 BRAT. No ABS brakes or low end torque to contend with. The BRAT is way more sure-footed in severe weather (ice/snow). The Baja stays home during major storms :(

We bought our 98 Forrester right before my daughter was born. I remember a blizzard on the day we were bringing her back to the doctor for the "third day out of the hospital" check-up. We had a set of Blizzaks on the Forrester and the thing JUST STUCK to the road. We saw at least 2 accidents occur in front of us on the way there, but we never even slipped. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to us Kelli REALLY needed the checkup. Her Billyrubin count had skyrocketed so badly she was in danger and had to be admitted to the Infant ICU. Thank God we didn't hesitate to bring her back just because of the snow.

Anyway, if we get the Baja it will be our foul weather vehicle (far more capable than a supercharged Mini Cooper or a Moto Guzzi or a Harley in the snow), so it will sure as heck see the weather!

Kev