Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Joint, (newbie questions)

Hello All,

New to the forum, been searching for answers but can't seem to find what I am looking for (right in front of my face for sure)

93 Impreza hatchback, Manual, nothing special. Have not done any work on it past the normal oil change and tune up stuff. Axles started clunking around corners so I figured it was time for the classic CV replacement.

Got the first side apart just fine, then discovered that the auto store axle shafts have a different spline count, put it all back together with the old parts.

First Question: Anyone encounter this spline problem? Will I have to get OEM instead?

Second Question: What is the torque for the axle lock nut? Does it need to be torqued with or without weight on it?

Third Question: Should I go ahead and replace the ball joint that is attached to the "A" arm and the bottom of the steering knuckle? Is it a common wear item as well? If the castle nut on the bottom is removed does it just pop out?

Fourth Question: Where can I get a manual for the car, preferably FSM? I asked at the dealer and they looked at me like I had three heads, and the auto store said they could not get one.

One last note, I removed the axle by detaching the tie rod end then removing the ball joint pinch bolt in the steering knuckle, the ball joint dropped out and there was plenty of room to push the axle out of the hub. Anything wrong with this method? It seemed almost to easy.

Thank you to any one that can tackle all or part of my overly complicated and long winded first post.

Kevin R.

<<First Question: Anyone encounter this spline problem? Will I have to get OEM instead?

***no, they just gave you the wrong one. return it and get a different one***

Second Question: What is the torque for the axle lock nut? Does it need to be torqued with or without weight on it?

*** 145- i always tourqe it to 150 to be safe. doesn't matter if its in the air or not***

Third Question: Should I go ahead and replace the ball joint that is attached to the "A" arm and the bottom of the steering knuckle? Is it a common wear item as well? If the castle nut on the bottom is removed does it just pop out?

*** you are already half way there, might as well replace it. yes, undo the castel nut and it should pop out***

Fourth Question: Where can I get a manual for the car, preferably FSM? I asked at the dealer and they looked at me like I had three heads, and the auto store said they could not get one.

***junkyard might be your best choice for a owners manual, otherwise look online***

One last note, I removed the axle by detaching the tie rod end then removing the ball joint pinch bolt in the steering knuckle, the ball joint dropped out and there was plenty of room to push the axle out of the hub. Anything wrong with this method? It seemed almost to easy.

***nope plain and simple subarus are***

Thank you to any one that can tackle all or part of my overly complicated and long winded first post.

Welcome to the baord

The wrong spline is a common problem. i had that happen alot, so has my mechanic.

Go to a differnt store (chain) or a mom and pop store, these things happen.

121-153 ft lbs it says for the legacy of the same year, i am sure its the same for your car

Balljoints dont wear out too often on these cars. As long as the boot isnt riped you should be fine.

Watch ebay, but for now get a haynes manual

You cheated, usually you break the strut from the lower control arm.

nipper

svxpert & nipper, thank you very much for the info (and the welcome)

I was mainly concerned that perhaps the lock nut was setting a bearing preload and therefore needed a specific torque.

Good to know I cheated, I like cheating :brow:

Next up, replacing the clutch :-\

Thanks,

Kevin R.

Thanks again for the help!

Finally got the right parts and replaced both axles (and ball joints for good measure)

Despite 13 years in the rust belt, everything came apart relatively easily. Of course, this is the newest car I have ever worked on so that may have skewed my perception a bit.

I can not imagine having to do this for the first time without a lift.

Thanks, and stay tuned for my clutch thread:D

Kevin R.