Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 leg gt with a borla header. I had both front axles replaced in June. I noticed the other day that the inner boot on the passenger side was open. The guy that did the work replaced the axle no charge. However he mentioned the header could have caused the boot to dry out and open?? My question is, could the header be causing the boot to go away? Has anyone had this problem with headers?

Second question, After replaceing the axle, I now notice under WOT that there is a feeling like something does not fit right. Shifter shakes, steering shakes, not right! Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Could the axle be bent? not installed right?

Any ideas??

Thanks

Mileage? It could be motor/tranny mounts/bushings, warped rotors, etc.. check for loose strut bolts, loose castle nuts, axle pin missing, etc.

As far as the headers drying out the boot.. it is a possibility. On RX's the turbo down pipe goes right by the inner passsenger cv boot.. and without the heat shielding and stuff that's supposed to be there it kills boots pretty quick. You may need to figure out a way to put a heat shield between the headers and the boots.

Mileage? It could be motor/tranny mounts/bushings, warped rotors, etc.. check for loose strut bolts, loose castle nuts, axle pin missing, etc.

As far as the headers drying out the boot.. it is a possibility. On RX's the turbo down pipe goes right by the inner passsenger cv boot.. and without the heat shielding and stuff that's supposed to be there it kills boots pretty quick. You may need to figure out a way to put a heat shield between the headers and the boots.

Thanks for the info. The boots never dryed out on the original axles. Had at least 30k miles with the headers. the original axles lasted 155k without a problem with the boots. They just started making noise. Motor and tranny mounts are only 30k old. Rotors and pads are only a couple weeks old. I did not have the problem before the last axle change. I will need to check for loose bolts. Where is the axle pin supposed to be?

Thanks again.