Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a Subaru Outback (Natl) ?

National LEV Program

On December 16, 1997, EPA finalized the regulations for the National Low Emission Vehicle (NLEV) program [63 FR 926, 7 Jan 1998]. The NLEV was a voluntary program that came into effect through an agreement by the northeastern states and the auto manufacturers. It provided more stringent emission standards for the transitional period before the introduction of Tier 2 regulations. Starting in the northeastern states in model year 1999 and nationally in model year 2001, new cars and light light-duty trucks had to meet tailpipe standards that were more stringent than EPA could legally mandate prior to model year 2004. However, after the NLEV program was agreed upon, these standards were enforceable in the same manner as any other federal new motor vehicle program.

The National LEV program harmonized the federal and California motor vehicle standards and provided emission reductions that were basically equivalent to the California Low Emission Vehicle program. The program was phased-in through schedules that required car manufacturers to certify a percentage of their vehicle fleets to increasingly cleaner standards (TLEV, LEV, ULEV). The National LEV program extended only to lighter vehicles and did not include the Heavy LDT (HLDT, GVWR>6,000 lbs) vehicle category.

I bought my Subaru in NH, which does not follow the stricter emissions standards followed by the states bordering. I could do so because the 06 Subaru met all state standards.