Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 2001 Legacy outback sedan I bought used. Unfortunately at the time I purchased I did not notice a small area where there is a piece of rubber missing from the sun roof. It is perfectly centered and very smooth, so I figured some piece fell off and I could go to a dealer and get the piece. Maybe it was my dealer or parts guy...but they said I needed to replace the whole roof (glass part) for $400... I feel that they are yanking my chain if not worse.

Any thoughts?

I have 2001 Legacy outback sedan I bought used. Unfortunately at the time I purchased I did not notice a small area where there is a piece of rubber missing from the sun roof. It is perfectly centered and very smooth, so I figured some piece fell off and I could go to a dealer and get the piece. Maybe it was my dealer or parts guy...but they said I needed to replace the whole roof (glass part) for $400... I feel that they are yanking my chain if not worse.

Any thoughts?

Are you talking about the weatherstrip that surrounds the sunroof glass? If that's the case, I don't think the dealer is lying to you. I called Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com to see if that strip was available for the sunroof glass on my '99 Legacy and he told me "no, you have to buy the entire glass assembly..."

Very frustrating but if it's any consolation,it isn't just Subaru that does things this way......

The sunroof seal is glued and fitted into a channel that is in the metal frame of the sunroof. Basically the sunroof glass is glued to its metal surround frame and the seal is sandwiched in between. The only way to repair it is to replace the entire glass/metal unit. You might try black silicone to fill in the area missing. Open the roof part way and clean the seal and dry it completely. Squeeze out enough silicone into the missing section to fill the void, and shape it by wrapping it with saran wrap. Once cured (overnight) carve the excess off using a sharp exacto knife to size. Even if you get it close, no one will ever see it since the car sits too high, and it might last and do the job for you. Short of that, I'd try a junkyard for some used weatherstripping that was thick enough to carve/shape into the missing section and silicone it into the break. Good Luck!