Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3.9 transmission question

oooo

I was wondering if it was possible to make a 3.9 full time awd with diff lock and dual range and if so what parts would I need to do this. would I simply have to get a 3.7 full time transmission with diff lock and dual range, then just swap in the front diff of a 3.9 and the rear diff to match, and if not, is it possible to bolt on the lower geared dualrange part of a part time 3.9 to a full time 3.7 dualrange transmission

And if this can be done how difficult of a project would it be. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rx transmission.

which would give him what? he wants a 3.9 RX tranny

the only way to do it is to take a 3.9 5spd D/R and an RX tranny (3.7 Fulltime D/R with difflock) and put them together in a mesh of transmission goodness. which may or may not be posible hence why, to my knowledge, hasn't been done yet

I've never head of anyone doing it...and I don't know why you would. the RX tranny is already geared pretty low. the only reason I can think of needing that little extra gearing is when offroading....in which case you might as well just use a part-time 4WD tranny, and not mess with the center diff lock.