Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW

Just wondering if anyone here has had a stuck rear shade and how possibly to fix it without removing the liner. I think it is off the tracks but it is next to impossible to see back in there. The shade opens and closes with the glass, but the noise it makes is not pretty. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cannonball,

In the last year I dropped my headliner to correct a stripped front sunroof drive mechanism in my 02 OBW LTD. You might be able to pull down the headliner far enough in the centre, by doing the following. No guarantees here, as I pulled everything, overhead handles, sunvisors, interior ceiling lights, the A, B, C, and D pillar mouldings, and the mouldings around the doors, etc. The tricky part, and here's what I'm suggesting you might try, since it might give you enough room to see what the problem is, is to open the sunroof completely. Looking in from on top of the car, you'll see 4 rectangular plastic plugs that have centre push/lift pins along the centre metal strip between the front and rear sunroofs. Pull the four of them. Then pull the ceiling plugs in the rear of the car, 4 or 6 as I recall. Then reach up around the rear sunroof opening from inside the car and gently pull down the headliner from around the edges. Its held in there by a series of velcro type fasteners. At this point you might be able to see between the headliner and the roof with a light to see what is going on. If not .... I've already listed what else needs to come out. Hint: remove the headrests to drop the headliner easier. Good Luck!

cannonball,

In the last year I dropped my headliner to correct a stripped front sunroof drive mechanism in my 02 OBW LTD. You might be able to pull down the headliner far enough in the centre, by doing the following. No guarantees here, as I pulled everything, overhead handles, sunvisors, interior ceiling lights, the A, B, C, and D pillar mouldings, and the mouldings around the doors, etc. The tricky part, and here's what I'm suggesting you might try, since it might give you enough room to see what the problem is, is to open the sunroof completely. Looking in from on top of the car, you'll see 4 rectangular plastic plugs that have centre push/lift pins along the centre metal strip between the front and rear sunroofs. Pull the four of them. Then pull the ceiling plugs in the rear of the car, 4 or 6 as I recall. Then reach up around the rear sunroof opening from inside the car and gently pull down the headliner from around the edges. Its held in there by a series of velcro type fasteners. At this point you might be able to see between the headliner and the roof with a light to see what is going on. If not .... I've already listed what else needs to come out. Hint: remove the headrests to drop the headliner easier. Good Luck!

Thanx for the reply. Sounds fairly involved so I will have to determine if and when I should take on this venture.

I had a similar problem with my 2000 Legacy. My fix was fairly simple (but I am pretty tall). Open the car door and stand on the door sill. With the glass open on the sunroof, you should be able to visualize the sunshade and how it sits in the track. Some gentle wiggling and persuasion and ...tada. I have since been more cautious about pushing the shade forward and back without pushing up.

Finally got it figured out. I got inside the car with the glass slid back with enough room for my head and flashlight to fit in from the backseat of the car. I figured out what was bent, but could not get it put back into it correct position (tabs on either side that run on the track). Then I notice 2 springloaded stops on either side. At first I tried to reach them with a long screw drive to no avail. I looked around for something long and slender and was having no luck until I found my sons toy sword. It was thin enough to get back in there , and I was able to flip the stops up one at a time and push the shade back.